2nd RE215 won't work in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-05 09:41:06
Model: RE215  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm trying to add a second RE215 extender to my home network. It is connected to a ZTE router from Converge. It will not connect in AP mode. I have:

1) Tested the LAN cable by connecting directly to a laptop.

2) Tried running a second LAN cable in case of fault in first cable.

3) Switched the two RE215s to make sure they both function. They both work properly on Auto in the place of the first 215, both do not work in the new 215's location.

4) Tried assigning IP addresses manually as well as tagging their MACs to those IPs at the router.

5) Rebooted and updated all components.

6) Tried unplugging the first 215 and running only the new 215.

7) Tried adjusting DHCP settings on the router and assigning smaller, nonconflicting ranges to both 215s. Setting a manual IP works, however if I manually enable DHCP settings on the second 215 it constantly connects and disconnects, forcing me to factory reset in order to regain control.

Can anyone help me figure out why specifically the second location refuses to work? Can two RE215s not be in the same network for some reason?

Options
4 Reply
Re:2nd RE215 won't work in AP mode
2023-09-05 21:28:32 - last edited 2023-09-05 21:29:31

@gtibay04 

To Set Up the Extender as an Access Point

1.Visit http://tplinkrepeater.net, and log in with your TP-Link ID or the password you set for the extender.

2.Click Change Mode in the top right corner of the page. Select Access Point Mode and click OK. The extender will reboot and switch to Access Point mode.

3.After rebooting, connect your smart phone to the extender’s network TP-Link_Extender or TP-Link_Extender_5GHz.

4.Visit http://tplinkrepeater.net, and log in with your TP-Link ID or the password you set for the extender.

5.Go to Settings > Quick Setup to configure your extender.

1 ) Customize your wireless SSID and password and click NEXT.

2 )Confirm the information and click FINISH.

6.Connect the extender to your modem or wired router via an Ethernet cable. Now you can enjoy Wi-Fi.

When RE215 is in AP mode its DHCP server should be turned off - your main router should take care for all DHCP requests from your devices.

For example:

If ZTE is with IP address 192.168.0.1 and its DHCP server pool is 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.200

I would set first RE215 with static IP address 192.168.0.253 and the second one with static IP address 192.168.0.254.

Thus all three devices (ZTE and 2xRE215) would be in the same subnet with known IP addresses for easy access.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-09-06 04:16:39

@terziyski 

Thank you for your instructions. I repeated those just in case there's any difference from the paper or site manual, but it still did not work.

I've disabled the DHCP function as well instead of allowing it to Auto, also did not work.

215 location 1 is set to 192.168.1.19

215 location 2 (nonworking) set to 192.168.1.20. Noted that when set to Auto it defaults to 0.254 as if it can't see the network. But again, I've checked, double and triple checked the cable as well as ran a whole separate cable and connected directly to a laptop to test connectivity.

Any other ideas I might try?

Options
2023-09-06 20:04:40 - last edited 2023-09-06 23:52:15

@gtibay04 

I still believe that you have a cabling issue.

Why's that:

The fact that both REs work at location 1, but not at location 2, is connected with the physical environment.

The fact that at location 2 the RE (DHCP on Auto) receives an IP address 192.168.0.254 while the ZTE router is within the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet as if it can't see the ZTE.

Testing the cable between your laptop and the ZTE doesn't mean that the same cable is OK between the ZTE and the RE215.

If you cripmped the cable yourself there's a possibility that this could causing the issue.

What you can do to exclude that possibility:

1. It's easier to change the LAN port on ZTE router where the RE at location 2 is connected.

If that doesn't help:

2. If you have a good quality factory made (from the router or the RE kit) ethernet cable take the RE closer to your ZTE and test the connection with this cable.

If everything's OK then you can confirm a cabling issue and do the necessary action - recrimp the original cable and test again.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-09-07 05:13:52

@terziyski You were right on. I did have to crimp a new connector as the original cable had gotten partially cut during construction. I had been trying to re-crimp several times frustrated in a dim corner at 3-4am and wrote it off thinking I couldn't possibly have gotten it wrong that many times. After reading your diagnosis it rang a bell and today after good sleep and in clear light I fresh cut and crimped another connector and it worked right off.

Went looking for some kinda quirky technical and it turned out to be the simplest human error.

Thank you for all the help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 378

Replies: 4

Related Articles