Extend 2 network with different settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-14 09:36:05
Model: RE550  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.20

I have a router archer C2 AC750 (dual band) and range extender RE550. I want to extend both bands (one guest and the other nornal - does not matter which one is the guest)

I have an USB connected in the router.

In the guest network, disable the USB access.

Example1. Extend 2.4GHz - guest and 5GHz normal.

a. If I connect to the guest network, I have access to USB (I shouldn't have). If I connect to 5GHz, I have access to USB(as expected)

b. If I disable the 5GHz network from the extender (to not being extended), then if I connect to 2.4GHz I do not have access to USB (as expected)

Example2. Extend 2.4GHz normal and 5GHz guest.

a. If I connect to 2.4Ghz, I do not have access to USB (not ok). If I connect to 5GHz, I don not have access to USB (as expected)

b. If I disable the 5GHz network from the extender (to not being extended), then if I connect to 2.4GHz, I have access to USB (As expected)

Conclusion; If I extend only one network, the behavior is as expected. But If I enable both (and one is a guest network), then the exdender copy the settings from the 5GHz network to the 2.4Ghz network (not ok).

It is a bug in the firmware.

Can someone help me with a fix?

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extend 2 network with different settings
2023-09-14 20:02:59 - last edited 2023-09-14 20:04:23

@sky_ 

Hi,

These range extenders are not designed to separate the two bands into two separate networks.

Furthermore, newer TP-Link range extenders like the RE550 don't allow the "High Speed Mode" to be completely disabled. 
"High Speed Mode" on "Auto" means the range extender will decide on its own which "path" it uses for the data transfer between the router and itself, depending on what it thinks gives the user the best overall performance. As per your findings it appears the RE550 prefers to use the 5 GHz wireless network for the data transfer between router and range extender.

I think the only short-term fix would be to use two range extenders, one to extend the guest network and another one to extend the normal network.

Options