Deco M4 Ethernet query

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 Ethernet query

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M4 Ethernet query
Deco M4 Ethernet query
2023-09-27 08:33:25
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Good day folks,

Just a query as I'm looking at buying the set of 3 Deco M4's but I don't think the documentation is very clear.

The setup I'm looking at is this:

OPNsense Router > 16 Port Unmanaged Switch > Main Powerline Adapter ~ Powerline Adapter 1 > Deco M4.

~ Powerline Adapter 2 > Deco M4.

~ Powerline Adapter 3 > Deco M4.

Is this setup possible with the Deco M4's? I know AP mode disables certain features but I'm mainly looking for a seamless mesh WiFi network to cover an L shaped house.

Is it also possible to add more than 3 to the setup? I'd ideally like to buy an additional 1 for garage.

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Ethernet query
2023-09-27 11:35:06 - last edited 2023-09-27 11:43:43

@Craig_A4 

This setup is possible and should work.

The only caveat is not every brand of powerline adapters is compatible with Deco mesh Ethernet backhaul. Worst case, you may also need to replace powerline adapters with compatible brand.

Because Deco uses standard backhaul protocols, it is quite likely if your powerline adapters are not compatible with Deco, they won't be compatible with any other WiFi mesh systems and will need to be replaced anyway.

When you get your Deco M4, if you are not sure they work with your powerline adapters - ask here and I'll help to figure.

TP-Link does not sell M4 in single units. If you confident you will need four - buy two 2-unit sets of M4. 

An alternative would be to buy 3-unit set of M4 as you plan, and later add Deco M5 to it. TP-Link sells Deco M5 in single units, M5 can be added to the Deco M4 mesh just fine.

Deco M5 form factor is like oversized smoke detector. It can be easily wall mounted or ceiling mounted with third party mount holder. If you find it more convenient to have Deco unit wall or ceiling mounted in the garage, consider M5. I can give you more info on different types of mount holders, if you are interested.

Check operational temperature range of Deco unit you plan for garage. For example, at my garage in the winter temperature drops below freezing, which is oustide of operational range for M4 and M5. You may need an outdoor Deco unit if your garage is not insulated and either too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer.

Options
2023-09-27 11:49:40

@Alexandre. 

Hi,

I'm currently using the TP-Link TL-PA7010P V3 powerline adapters. What is it I need to look for when shopping for Powerline adapters to ensure compatibility with the Deco M4's?

That is a good shout regarding temp issues in the garage, that hadn't been a consideration for me until now. To be fair, the garage situation is far off and I'm just flirting with ideas on the garage.

Thank you for your help here.

Craig

Options
2023-09-27 14:19:39

@Craig_A4 

You have TP-Link brand powerline adapters, they should be fine with TP-Link Deco.

One more thing: the unmanaged switch must be compatible with Deco mesh Ethernet backhaul, too. More info on the topic of Deco Ethernet backhaul can be found here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 369

Replies: 3

Related Articles