Unable to access AX55's LAN management IP from other peer in different subnetwork of same intranet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unable to access AX55's LAN management IP from other peer in different subnetwork of same intranet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-27 19:31:12
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20230926 rel.51090(4555)

A seamingly 'straightforward' setup here under a SOHO installation where I have a primary network consisting of several subnetworks, one being routed by a newly acquired AX-55v1 for testing purposes.

The existing pool of 9 subnetworks is organised in a pair of (LAN/intra-WAN) IPs of (192.168.1.20/192.168.2.1), (192.168.1.30/192.168.3.1) for each individual subnetwork and so on and so forth.

Out of the 9 routers the ONLY one I'm not being able to use it's intra-WAN IP to access is the AX55 one, all the rest being accessible BOTH via the LAN AND the respective intra-WAN (MAN) address. For example I'm able to access it on 192.168.1.50 which is it's IP on the tier 1 LAN pool, but I'm unable to access the 192.168.5.1 which is it's own LAN IP. Although not a big nuisance I was just wondering why this is since this also applies to ICMP (ping) requests and so on, despite having the respective access setting turned ON under Advanced / Security / Firewall > respond to pings from LAN AND respond to pings from WAN both enabled.

RT.-

Now serving finite customer via f(x)=AirTime/∞ on the 5Ghz band :-/
Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to access AX55's LAN management IP from other peer in different subnetwork of same intranet
2023-09-28 01:14:18

@RTouris 

If I understand correctly your AX55 WAN IP address is 192.168.1.50 and AX55 LAN IP address is 192.168.5.1.

If that's correct, there's no way to browse the web management interface of AX55 using it's LAN IP address from the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

That's because of the NAT that AX55 does. Same goes for the ping respond from its LAN IP address.

This is a home router and that's how it works - check this story (Basic Level of protection - NAT).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Unable to access AX55's LAN management IP from other peer in different subnetwork of same intranet
2023-10-05 20:05:45

@RTouris My understanding is that it **SHOULD** work in the presence of a static route (which i already setup for all the corresponding subnets) in the form of Destination 192.168.5.0/24, next hop 192.168.1.50 and interface switch0 on the ER-X. Out of all the routers involved in this config the AX-55 is the ONLY one that is inaccessible in it's LAN IP (while in the intraWAN), hence my legit failure to understand why this is so. 

Options
2023-10-05 21:05:10

@RTouris 

This would work in a business grade router on which you can set its ethernet ports IP addresses to be in a different subnets.

AX55 is a home grade router with an integrated ethernet switch and HW/SW limitations will prevent this from working.- check this article - section "Issues and limitations".

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-10-06 10:11:35

@terziyski 

I appreciate your interest in this however this doesn't explain why all the rest of the SOHO equipment behaves differently or why two very old TP-Link modem routers also appear to support this, namely the TD-W8980 and the TD-W9980...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 488

Replies: 4

Related Articles