Device adoption failed because device doesn't respond to adoption commands

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-28 13:22:30 - last edited 2023-10-13 06:19:00
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

So, trying to recover from the router disconnected from the Omada controller I reset the router, and now I am encountering even more problems.

My controller is on a management network that I set up prior to the router becoming disconnected. It is in VLAN 3 with IP address 192.168.3.2.

I am able to connect to the controller and the router. I set up the necessary VLANs on the router, and the router is able to ping the controller.  I connected the router to the internet successfully. Great!

I set the inform address in the router. Now the router shows up as available for adoption in the devices page - fantastic, I am nearly there right!

I click on adopt, and get the soul destroying message "Device adoption failed because device doesn't respond to adoption commands" - what the hell does that mean?

Can someone explain what I need to do in order to adopt this router and get the network back online in the way it was before the router became disconnected?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Device adoption failed because device doesn't respond to adoption commands-Solution
2023-09-28 14:31:09 - last edited 2023-10-13 06:19:00

That was a frustrating experience, but I seem to have restored things.  Here is how I did it after resetting the ER605 multiple times.

Reconfigure the LAN interface to use address 192.168.3.1 and set it to VLAN 3.

Change the settings for the port connected to my switch to tag VLAN 3 - the default is untag.

Set the inform address to 192.168.3.2

After doing this I could connect to the controller, and successfully adopt the router.  It restored all the settings to what they were before this experience including the settings for the default VLAN etc. so a bunch of renewal of DHCP was required on the device I was using.

It would be great if TP-Link allowed adoption with a different default VLAN on the router - anyone who has set up a management VLAN and put the controller on it will need to figure this out and it is not easy!!

I would document this more fully with screenshots but it is not possible to access the router config pages after adoption, and I don't want to inflict any more downtime at the client site. Upgrading firmware will also have to wait for another day.

Update: I wrote this out more comprehensively on Reddit here.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Device adoption failed because device doesn't respond to adoption commands-Solution
2023-09-28 14:31:09 - last edited 2023-10-13 06:19:00

That was a frustrating experience, but I seem to have restored things.  Here is how I did it after resetting the ER605 multiple times.

Reconfigure the LAN interface to use address 192.168.3.1 and set it to VLAN 3.

Change the settings for the port connected to my switch to tag VLAN 3 - the default is untag.

Set the inform address to 192.168.3.2

After doing this I could connect to the controller, and successfully adopt the router.  It restored all the settings to what they were before this experience including the settings for the default VLAN etc. so a bunch of renewal of DHCP was required on the device I was using.

It would be great if TP-Link allowed adoption with a different default VLAN on the router - anyone who has set up a management VLAN and put the controller on it will need to figure this out and it is not easy!!

I would document this more fully with screenshots but it is not possible to access the router config pages after adoption, and I don't want to inflict any more downtime at the client site. Upgrading firmware will also have to wait for another day.

Update: I wrote this out more comprehensively on Reddit here.

Recommended Solution
Options