AC1200 S4 Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AC1200 S4 Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AC1200 S4 Mesh
AC1200 S4 Mesh
2023-10-02 10:36:49 - last edited 2023-10-12 07:31:50
Tags: #Ac1200 S4

I have an existing Mesh using AC1200 S4 units.

I've noticed that the signal strength in some areas of the house is not good. I was looking to additional units.

Is the S4 still a valid product?

Would I be better to add M4 units instead?

I notice sometimes that Netflix and Disney+ can be slow. I wondered if the units with a gigabit port on would be the way to go and then use the S4's elsewhere?

Please advise?

many thanks

Sean

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AC1200 S4 Mesh-Solution
2023-10-02 15:12:14 - last edited 2023-10-12 07:31:50

@Whitenknight 

Hey

Yes the S4 is still a current product and available to buy, however the newer Deco X Range are slowly taking over as the standard.     You can mix and match versions so there is no issue if you decide to buy an X20 and mix it with your S4s

Im guessing you are running your Deco wirelessly connected?  Or are you running cables?   If its using WiFi then the LAN port speed wont really be any consideration for you as the WiFi is doing the backhaul.   However if you can run cables between them then that is aways the best option to maintain speed.

If you want the Fastest WiFi, then buy at least 2 of the Deco X range and replace your MAIN Deco with the X, then add the additional node where needed.   These 2x new X Deco will talk using WiFi6 which is faster, the older S4s can be dotted around as needed but will connect at WiFi5 speeds.

In terms of model.. The Deco x20 or x50 are your direct replacements.  However if you want to save money, S4 / M4 will do

Hope that helps!

Phil

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:AC1200 S4 Mesh-Solution
2023-10-02 15:12:14 - last edited 2023-10-12 07:31:50

@Whitenknight 

Hey

Yes the S4 is still a current product and available to buy, however the newer Deco X Range are slowly taking over as the standard.     You can mix and match versions so there is no issue if you decide to buy an X20 and mix it with your S4s

Im guessing you are running your Deco wirelessly connected?  Or are you running cables?   If its using WiFi then the LAN port speed wont really be any consideration for you as the WiFi is doing the backhaul.   However if you can run cables between them then that is aways the best option to maintain speed.

If you want the Fastest WiFi, then buy at least 2 of the Deco X range and replace your MAIN Deco with the X, then add the additional node where needed.   These 2x new X Deco will talk using WiFi6 which is faster, the older S4s can be dotted around as needed but will connect at WiFi5 speeds.

In terms of model.. The Deco x20 or x50 are your direct replacements.  However if you want to save money, S4 / M4 will do

Hope that helps!

Phil

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 140

Replies: 1

Tags

Ac1200 S4
Related Articles