Smart lock is not connecting with RE200 wifi extender network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-03 09:19:51
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.23 Build 230418 Rel.60395n

The issue at hand involves an August WiFi smart lock which is encountering difficulties while attempting to connect to a home network through a TP-Link RE200 WiFi extender. Interestingly, when attempting a direct connection with the main router, the smart lock experiences no issues and connects smoothly to the network. Furthermore, it's observed that all other devices within the network are able to establish stable connections with the WiFi extender without any noticeable anomalies. The persistent issue seems exclusive to the interplay between the August smart lock and the TP-Link RE200 WiFi extender.

Key points for emphasis:

1. Password Error: Despite the assurance that the password input is accurate (with multiple checks and having the same password for all networks from the main router and extender), the smart lock app returns an 'incorrect password' error when trying to connect via the WiFi extender.

2. Frequency Band Limitation: The smart lock restricts its connections to the 2.4 GHz network only.

3. SSID Clarity: All SSIDs (for the main router and extender) are distinctively named to ensure connections are made to the intended network.

4. Factory Resets: Multiple factory resets have been performed on both the smart lock and the WiFi extender without rendering any fruitful results in alleviating the issue.

5. Firmware Status: Both the smart lock and the WiFi extender are operating with up-to-date firmware.

6. Connection Anomalies:

• The smart lock successfully connects with the main router/modem without any issues.
    • The smart lock consistently fails to connect with the RE200 WiFi extender’s 2.4 GHz network.
    • All other devices are able to connect with the RE200 WiFi extender’s 2.4 GHz network without any issues.

The quandary remains: despite accurate password input, clear SSIDs, and the efficacy of factory resets and firmware updates, why is the smart lock unable to establish a connection through the WiFi extender, whilst all other devices and the direct router connection encounter no such problems? And, importantly, how might this issue be effectively diagnosed and resolved?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Smart lock is not connecting with RE200 wifi extender network
2023-10-03 14:28:46

@sailorsiim 

Hi,

When you tried to connect the smart lock to the RE200's 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network, was the phone that is running the smart lock app also connected to that same 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network of the RE200?

I don't have an August smartlock, but I remember on some IoT devices the app used to control the device will just use the Wi-Fi settings of the phone's active Wi-Fi connection and connects the IoT device to the same network right away.

In case your "Security" setting on the RE200's 2.4 GHz network is set to "WPA2/WPA3-Personal", then you could try if changing it to "WPA/WPA2-Personal" makes any difference with regards to the smart lock. (since there is no separate setting for the Extended network you would have to make the change in the section for the Host network, which changes the security for both)

Options
2023-10-03 14:33:10

@woozle Yes, phone is set to same 2.4Ghz network. Thats the way to do it. Device will start using the same networks as the phone is connected. Otherwise its not even letting to continue.

I will give a try soon to change WPA setting.

Options
2023-10-03 16:34:23

@woozle Unfortunately this advice did not help. I had settings already WPA/WPA2-Personal.

Options
2023-10-03 18:02:02

@sailorsiim 

Then maybe test it the other way around. Set it to "WPA2/WPA3-Personal".

To rule out an issue with the August app, would it be possible for you to get hold of a phone of the "other" kind? (i.e. use an iPhone instead of Android phone or vice versa)

I guess that's been all the advice I can come up with.

Effectively diagnosing this issue is hardly possible, as the smart lock and its app are an enclosed system in which we cannot "look" inside.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 410

Replies: 4

Related Articles