M5 in AP mode, devices with static ip address have no ip address shown in deco app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M5 in AP mode, devices with static ip address have no ip address shown in deco app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-04 12:26:29
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.3

I have M5 5-node mesh network in AP mode behind a Plusnet Hub One router. This router is awful, and I am trying to lighten the load on its dhcp server by setting some devices to static ip addresses - that is, defining them on the devices themselves, NOT by reserving the address on the router. I am assigning addresses outside the dhcp range.

They connect to the mesh fine (much faster!) and work fine in every way, but they do not display in the app properly, they show as online and it says which deco they are connected to, but their IP address is blank. This is happening on some ESP8266 devices, and also on my TV which is connected by ethernet cable to one of the satellite decos. I have only just started this exercise so I cannot tell if this is a new problem in the latest firmware which I put on a few days ago or if it is unrelated to that.

Options
2 Reply
Re:M5 in AP mode, devices with static ip address have no ip address shown in deco app
2023-10-04 14:23:15

@Meshdave 

It used to be that devices with static IP addresses configured on them do not show at all in Deco app. What you describe sounds like an improvement comparing to previous firmware versions: at least, you see these devices in Deco app and in Decos they are connected to.

Options
Re:M5 in AP mode, devices with static ip address have no ip address shown in deco app
2023-10-04 14:38:04

@Alexandre. Yes, I did see a post about that, they were in router mode, so I wondered if there was a difference in router/AP modes. I just don't see why a device joining the mesh network and using dhcp gets its address shown, but a device that defines its own address doesn't, despite joining and functioning perfectly well otherwise. Useless.

Options