connect x50 deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

connect x50 deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
connect x50 deco
connect x50 deco
2023-10-06 09:48:36 - last edited 2023-10-09 08:54:15

Hi,

could you help me?

I've 5 deco x50.

I've the modem at the 3 floor and i'd like to connect by ethernet the main deco and from the main deco, by ethenet, connect 2 slave deco (number 1 e number 2) at the second e first floors. 

I've 2 others deco that i'd like to conenct by wifi:

Slave 3 to slave 1

slave 4 to main deco

it's possibile? or all deco's slave need to connect by wifi to the main deco?

thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:connect x50 deco-Solution
2023-10-06 11:55:13 - last edited 2023-10-09 08:54:15

@am0619 

If you want that exact setup, you will need Deco model that supports Connection Preference feature. More about that feature here: Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Signal Source

For Ethernet wired Deco they'll connect according to your network diagram without need to make configuration changes. You will definitely need to configure Slave 3 to connect to Slave 1 and, possibly, have Slave 4 configured to connect to Main Deco. By default, Satellite Deco prefers connection to Main Deco, so you might not need to reconfigure Slave 4 if it connects to Main Deco on its own.

The list of Deco models supporting Connection Preference can be found here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/614754

All Deco units in your mesh must support that feature for it to be enabled in Deco app.

Deco X50 appears on that list, but you must be careful about hardware version. With TP-Link Deco, it is not enough to have model name listed there, not every hardware version of same model supports same features. Yes, unfortunately it is that confusing with TP-Link Deco.

Click on X50 from that document, it'll send you to Support page for your region and there you can see what hardware versions are available. In my region, X50 comes with hardware version 1 and hardware version 2. Looking back to the list of models supporting Connection Preference, Deco X50 hardware V2 does not support connection preference feature. Only Deco X50 V1 and V1.2 support Connection Preference.

For comparison, when I look at similar Deco X55, I can only get in with hardware V1 in my region and that hardware version supports Connection Preference. So, if I to choose Deco model out of these two in my region, I'll order X55. X50 and X55 are very much identical in their features and specs.

Note that it is not possible to find Deco hardware version until you physically inspect the box. So, if ordering online, don't unpack it until you verify what the hardware version is so that you can send it back to retailer if it is not the version you need. If buying in store, you can inspect the box before the buying. 

How to find the hardware version on a TP-Link device

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:connect x50 deco
2023-10-06 10:31:31 - last edited 2023-10-06 10:33:24

@am0619 

Tested it - 'slaves' can chain connect to slaves also - like on your picture.

From my expirience - you need to add new deco when it is already properly mounted, to be sure the right connection path is chosen.

There is also 'AI' that can - like they say 'optimize signal to best expirience', but in my case - once it was paired after 2 hours traffic was not optimized (maybe I'm not patient enougnt) and was sent to farest deco not the closest with better signal.
Anyway needed to remove single deco and pair it again in right.

Oh and mine are x50-PoE, one connected with PoE, rest connected over wifi

Options
Re:connect x50 deco-Solution
2023-10-06 11:55:13 - last edited 2023-10-09 08:54:15

@am0619 

If you want that exact setup, you will need Deco model that supports Connection Preference feature. More about that feature here: Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Signal Source

For Ethernet wired Deco they'll connect according to your network diagram without need to make configuration changes. You will definitely need to configure Slave 3 to connect to Slave 1 and, possibly, have Slave 4 configured to connect to Main Deco. By default, Satellite Deco prefers connection to Main Deco, so you might not need to reconfigure Slave 4 if it connects to Main Deco on its own.

The list of Deco models supporting Connection Preference can be found here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/614754

All Deco units in your mesh must support that feature for it to be enabled in Deco app.

Deco X50 appears on that list, but you must be careful about hardware version. With TP-Link Deco, it is not enough to have model name listed there, not every hardware version of same model supports same features. Yes, unfortunately it is that confusing with TP-Link Deco.

Click on X50 from that document, it'll send you to Support page for your region and there you can see what hardware versions are available. In my region, X50 comes with hardware version 1 and hardware version 2. Looking back to the list of models supporting Connection Preference, Deco X50 hardware V2 does not support connection preference feature. Only Deco X50 V1 and V1.2 support Connection Preference.

For comparison, when I look at similar Deco X55, I can only get in with hardware V1 in my region and that hardware version supports Connection Preference. So, if I to choose Deco model out of these two in my region, I'll order X55. X50 and X55 are very much identical in their features and specs.

Note that it is not possible to find Deco hardware version until you physically inspect the box. So, if ordering online, don't unpack it until you verify what the hardware version is so that you can send it back to retailer if it is not the version you need. If buying in store, you can inspect the box before the buying. 

How to find the hardware version on a TP-Link device

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-06 12:25:08

@am0619 

thanks to all.

I've checked and with my deco i can choose the 'connection preference'.

Options
2023-10-06 12:54:13

@am0619 

This is great. From your original post I was not sure if you have these X50s already or plan to buy them. 

If in the future you'll decide to expand your Deco mesh, additional units must also support Connection Preference feature. 

Options
2023-10-06 13:05:10

@Alexandre. 

my x50-PoE has version v2 - there is no Connection Preference option for them.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 501

Replies: 5

Related Articles