Tether app indicates no internet but internet connectivity is working (almost)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-09 08:05:32 - last edited 2023-10-17 01:45:32
Tags: #Tether App
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I have a new Archer AX73V TP-link router I'm trying to get functioning with my iOS and PC devices and having difficulty with the Tether app.
Specifically it shows there is no internet connection yet my iOS devices such as my iPhone 14 and earlier models can connect to content

such as email, Netflix, Youtube, and more, as normal. My PC devices can also connect but website connectivity has mixed results.

I've switched off cellular data to make sure it wasn't connecting to the 4G network.

I've tried: resetting my router, updating firmware, powering off and on the router and my ISP-provided modem

Havent tried: Tether apps' internet auto-detect of PPPoe. Instead I'm using dynamic IP which isn't working. Nor have I contacted my ISP
(SoftBank) yet about the username/pad of the PPPoe. This may be what's needed but my previous router did not require PPPoe credentials.
However the previous router was provided by my ISP.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tether app indicates no internet but internet connectivity is working (almost)-Solution
2023-10-16 12:32:03 - last edited 2023-10-17 01:45:32
I finally just looked through some support info from Softbank on how to connect a commercially available router, and what I apparently was missing was a login ID and password for PPPoE. Since this doesn't seem to be anywhere found on my old Softbank router, which was ISP provided, it may have been set somewhere and I didn't know. I ignored that it could be PPPoE.until checking with Softbank support. So I finally got the login credentials from the person who owns the ISP broadband account, and after setting the above, all seems to work just fine now. Just to let you know, I really appreciated the replies and suggestions you provided. Much thanks!
Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Tether app indicates no internet but internet connectivity is working (almost)
2023-10-10 02:03:32

@cps-harp 

Hi, could you please login the web interface of the router and check Internet status on the web interface as well?

And what about the Internet LED status on the router?

To confirm whether your internet requires PPPoE credentials or not, please connect a computer to your ISP modem directly to see if internet works directly, if so, Dynamic IP should be fine.

By the way, who is your ISP please?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Tether app indicates no internet but internet connectivity is working (almost)
2023-10-10 13:41:05

@Sunshine 
When using the WEB interface, it indicated NO internet either. The LED light was always orange and hasn't changed at all.
I connecting my PC directly into the ISP (Softbank) provided modem. While my Windows 11 PC network diagnostics indicate I'm connected to the internet, connectivity is a mixed bag. From Chrome, websites are not able to resolve. From Edge, I can access the web fine. I'm looking at my data send/received and it's definitely sending and receiving via a direct connection to the modem.

I had to switch back to my older router for the time being.
 I looked at the PPPoE settings but nothing was entered so perhaps PPPoE isn't necessary. Still need to get this new one working. My provider is Softbank.

Options
2023-10-11 02:35:08

@cps-harp 

Hi, currently the Archer AX73 is using Dynamic IP as WAN Connection Type, right? Please check if there is WAN or Internet IP address on the AX73 now.

Besides, it seems that there is also some issues when you connect a PC to your ISP provided modem directly, and will the issue all disappear if you connect your old router to the ISP provided modem?

If so, are you able to login the old router web interface to check its Internet Settings?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-10-12 19:51:33

@Sunshine 
Here's a screenshot from the tplinkwifi:

File:
TPLinkwifi.net_Network Settings.jpgDownload
Options
2023-10-13 01:11:14

@cps-harp 

Hi, based on the screenshot, Internet status shows connecting and there is no WAN or Internet IP address, since your old router works fine, it is recommanded to clone your old router's MAC address to the TP-Link router, here is the instruction for you(Situation 2):

How do I configure MAC Address Clone on my TP-Link Archer Router?

Options
2023-10-14 17:08:00

@Sunshine Hello. From the link you provided, I gave the instructions a go. First I tried, as per its specific instructions, to clone my computer's MAC address to the TP-LINK router. That didn't change anything as far as I'm aware. Next I tried taking my old router's MAC address (listed on the device itself) and inputing that. But alas, to no avail. I even tried entering the Primary DNS address manually and that didn'twork. Also played with some options, such as 'enable NAT' and 'Get IP using Unicast DHCP '. Nothing yet. Both the web interface and iOS Tether app TP-Link  show an 'x' for internet connectivity.

• iOS devices:
  1. Can access and use apps such as Apple News, Netflix, Youtube, Facebook, Apple TV
  2. Can access, receive and send email via Gmail
  3. Can not access web sites directly in neither Chrome nor Edge, however I can do a google search and get results. I just can't connect to the links.

• PC devices:
  • Can do basic searches from either Chrome or Edge and get results, but can not connect to websites directly.
  • Can not connect to OneDrive

Options
2023-10-14 19:08:05

cps-harp wrote

Next I tried taking my old router's MAC address (listed on the device itself) and inputing that.

@cps-harp 

Hi,

Assuming by "listed on the device itself" you mean "printed" on the device itself, does it specifically say "WAN MAC address" or not? 

From my own experience the MAC address printed on labels of routers is usually the LAN MAC address, which is of course different (usually 1 up or 1 down).

To be sure the WAN MAC address should be looked up within the admin GUI of the router.

Options
2023-10-14 20:10:43

@woozle Listed on the side of the router is the WAN MAC address. This is the one I tried using, and input manually in the tplinkwifi app on my browser. I couldn't find the LAN MAC address on the router. I scoured every setting but only found this on my router's admin app: [attached file]. However I don't think that's what I need.

In the meantime I'm going to take the tp-link router over to another building and test it over there, to be able to rule out some problems.

File:
pagefromroutersettings.jpgDownload
Options
2023-10-14 21:17:15 - last edited 2023-10-14 21:26:03

@cps-harp 

If it says the MAC address on the side of the router is for the WAN, then that's fine.

But it is good that you attached that particular picture.

On that picture we can see that several client devices were provided with IPv6 addresses, while the client list for IPv4 clients contains nothing at all. 

This raises the question, does the Internet connection provided by your ISP actually support IPv4?

Any chance your ISP might have given you a so-called "DS-Lite" broadband connection, which is IPv6 only?

That would actually explain why you have partial Internet access, despite the Internet connection information shown on the first screenshot you posted two days ago showing 0.0.0.0 for everything.

If you click on "Settings/Connection information" in the upper left corner of the screen you posted, can you see the term "DS-Lite" written anywhere? (or anywhere else in the GUI of the old router)

Options
2023-10-15 16:37:07

@woozle It's almost certain to be my ISP-provided modem problem or it's the type of broadband connection I have, which I haven't yet been able to determine if it's a DS-lite connection but could be. 
I took my new tp-link router to another building and set up the connection and it was working just fine with that ISP modem, which was different than mine. The LED for the internet was lit white, and the Tether app was confirming a connection was successful. Looks as though I'll need my ISP (Softbank) to upgrade the modem or broadband connection. I was hoping I could just fix it on my own, unless there's some settings on my router I've overlooked.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2545

Replies: 13

Tags

Tether App
Related Articles