New house project

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

New house project

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
New house project
New house project
2023-10-16 14:59:10

I have a new project coming soon, which model and coverage is suitable for a Bungalow below.

G Floor 3465 ft² (77ft x 45ft) have 4 cat6 port standby

1st Floor 4230 ft² (94ft x 45ft) have 5 cat6 port standby

2nd Floor 2944 ft² (92ft x 32ft) have 4 cat6 port standby

Options
3 Reply
Re:New house project
2023-10-17 14:17:43

@JayLzz 

For house that size, I'll start with two WiFi mesh units per floor. If coverage is not sufficient, I'll add more WiFi units where needed. This applies to any brand of WiFi mesh, not just TP-Link Deco.

So, the minimum would be 6 WiFi units. If budget allows, the maximum could be up to 13, by the total number of Ethernet ports.

You would not know how many you'll need actually, until you deploy the minimum and start checking WiFi coverage in different places of the house. If you can share floor plan for one of the floors, with location of Ethernet ports, I can give you recommendations on where to deploy minimum number of WiFi units and how to expand, if necessary. You can apply same concept to remaining floors.

As for specific model recommendation, it'll help to narrow options if you can give answers to the following questions:

1. What will be the Internet link speed from that house? 

2. What will be the speed of wired home network inside the house: gigabit, 2.5Gbps, 10Gbps?

3. With that number of Ethernet ports, does owner plan to hardwire all devices that heavily use network, such as desktops, home servers, NAS, etc? Meaning, will WiFi be used only for less demanding devices such as smartphones, tablets, IoT devices or there is an expectation that some wirelessly connected desktop or server will need WiFi speeds reaching the speed of wired home network and/or Internet link?

Options
2023-10-17 19:20:46

@Alexandre. 

1. The max speed in my area available for plan subscription will be around 800-1000Mbps

2. The faster the better?

3. Most of the the device will be going wireless and the house will be install with Smart Home device which only uses 2.4 GHz bandwidth.

for the main network point should I be using switches to direct the ethernet port to all the room with port and install the mesh in the place which I prefer?

Do I need to do backhaul?

Options
2023-10-17 19:48:51

@JayLzz 

In that case I would recommend either XE75 Pro or X55. Both have dedicated IoT network you can configure for smart devices that only use 2.4GHz bandwidth.

I would recommend to use Ethernet ports for backhaul and only use Satellite Deco with Ethernet ports. Not every networking switch is compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul, TP-Link switches are safer bet, and more on that topic here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

One more question: do you plan to use Deco mesh for WiFi coverage only, or you also want to use Deco features such as parental controls? For most Deco models of today, parental controls are easily bypassed by smart user (a.k.a. child/teenager), so the "yes" answer will narrow down list of recommended Deco models even more, and then I will explain why I am suggesting these two.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 285

Replies: 3

Related Articles