Deco M5 units is only connecting to the Main unit via 2.4 GHz. 5 GHz is not available.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 units is only connecting to the Main unit via 2.4 GHz. 5 GHz is not available.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-18 18:51:42
Tags: #Deco M5 issue with 5 GHz
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.3

I bought a Deco M5 3-unit kit in June as we were moving to the new apartment at the beginning of October.

I installed it 2 days ago and today noticed that one of the Deco M5 units is only connecting to the Main unit via 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz is not available. I've tried to connect to this unit to test it and the speed but it was not possible. 

I've tried to reset it several times and even swapped it to be the Main unit, but then it was losing connection and disconnecting the network.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M5 units is only connecting to the Main unit via 2.4 GHz. 5 GHz is not available.
2023-10-18 21:06:33

@Nrgzer 

Hey

This is likely a signal issue

2.4ghz while slower and more congested does have a slight advantage over 5ghz in terms of penetration.  The longer wavelength allows for better penetration of walls, obstacles etc but at the expense of speed.

If its connected at 2.4ghz but not at 5ghz, then its likely that the 5ghz is too weak to establish a solid connection.  Try moving it closer, or run network optimiser and see if a channel change helps!

Options
Re:Deco M5 units is only connecting to the Main unit via 2.4 GHz. 5 GHz is not available.
2023-10-23 13:46:28

Hi  @Philbert 

I've run setup next to the main unit a number of times and the result is always the same. Something is wrong with this specific unit in my opinion, the other two work well.

Options
2023-10-23 20:27:22

@Nrgzer 

If its doing it at short range then yes its possibly faulty.  

Have you tried resetting that specific Node?

Options
2023-10-24 13:49:04

@Philbert 

Yes, I've done it a number of times but the problem persists. 

Options
2024-01-30 16:45:00

Hi  @Philbert 

I'm in Brazil and the item has been purchased here.
Can you provide the details of where the Deco M5 units can be sent for test and replacement?

Regards,

Options
2024-01-30 16:54:27

@Nrgzer 

Hey

I am not actually a TP Link Employee, just another forum user like yourself.   You would be better contacting support directly and asking them for RMA process. 

Details below (US site)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/replacement-warranty/

Options
2024-01-30 18:41:14

@Philbert , many thanks for taking the time and the replay.

All the best.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 669

Replies: 7

Tags

Deco M5 issue with 5 GHz
Related Articles