I need some clarification about my Deco P9 units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-19 08:39:27 - last edited 2023-10-19 08:44:24
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hello everyone,

I'd like to receive some clarification about my Deco P9 units.

My current setup includes a standard VirginMedia WIFI modem/router, where the WiFi has been disabled and that has been connected via Ethernet to the main Deco. 

Then around the house in the rooms where I need a better coverage I have other two P9 Deco units.

My question is, if the connection goes through the electricity cables (as the units are set as Router, not as access points) why one of these units have goes to a much much lower speed?

My house isn't big, it's a standard UK 2 story house, I'm attaching a small image of current setup, the numbers will show the Deco units in the spots where they are, the 1 is the main Deco, the blue colour shows the ground floor rooms while the pink the first floor. While in the rest of the house I reach almost 300mb, in the office (where the Deco number 3 is located) I can barely touch 100MB and most of days I have timeouts.

Regards,

Ade

Options
3 Reply
Re:I need some clarification about my Deco P9 units
2023-10-19 15:23:33

@Adex1 

Deco P9 can use powerline backhaul, but it will switch to WiFi backhaul if it can't use powerline. Even if it uses powerline, if Satellite P9 is not on the same circuit breaker as Main Deco, speeds could be low. So, it is hard to tell what is happening with your Deco 3, without additional info from you.

Open Deco 3 info page in Deco app and see what it reports there, example:

In that example, Satellite Deco Office uses WiFi for backhaul. Share screenshot of what you see for Deco 3 and I may be able to give you suggestions on how to improve WiFi on it.

Options
2023-10-19 17:40:55 - last edited 2023-10-19 17:41:28

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for your input!

I went into the app to check what you have suggested, and I noticed that it switched (without no input from me) from the first picture, to the second. Does PLC means that is not using WiFi?

Options
2023-10-19 19:37:09 - last edited 2023-10-19 20:48:34

@Adex1 

PLC means P9 connects through powerline. If PLC symbol appears and dissapears, that means P9 can not estable reliable connection through powerline. P9 switches between powerline and WiFi. That would explain slow WiFi speeds and timeouts for devices connected to Deco 3.

Deco P9 uses same powerline technology as standard powerline adapters. You can google for what could interfere with powerline adapters, and see if you have that and if you could remove that. For example, dimmable lights and anything that has motor (such as fridge) could interfere with powerline adapters performance.

You can also try to find better place for Deco 3 and these would be my suggestions:

1. Just power off Deco 3 and see if remaining two Deco could provide reasonably good WiFi coverage for your office;

2. Try plugging P9 to every electric outlet in the office, maybe there is one that will be better;

3. Bring Deco 3 to the room left of the office, on the same floor, try every electric outlet there;

4. Take Deco 3 downstairs to the ground floor and try with every electric outlet in the room under the office room.

See which place gets best possible WiFi coverage for the office and leave Deco 3 there.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 347

Replies: 3

Related Articles