TP-Link 4G routers not seeing Smarty SIMs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-19 20:48:49 - last edited 2023-11-01 01:51:07
Hi,

About a year ago I bought a TP-Link Archer MR600 4G router and ordered a Smartly (3) unlimited data SIM, put it in the router, it 'just worked' and all has been well ever since.

I recently leant the combo to our daughter and all was well with her, sufficiently to cancel her ADSL BB service.

She recently ordered her own Smarty unlimited Data SIM, activated it, swapped it for mine and according to the router admin page, 'no SIM card found'. She factory reset the router etc, no improvement. If she puts my Data SIM back in, the SIM is recognised immediately again and all works as it should.

She happens to also have my spare Huawei 4G router and put her new SIM in that and it went online immediately, suggesting the SIM can be seen (by that router) and is activated.

There seem to be quite a few people having issue with Smarty SIMs and TP-Link routers so has something changed re the type of SIM Smarty are supplying and is there an issue with TP-Link routers seeing them for some reason please?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link 4G routers not seeing Smarty SIMs?-Solution
2023-10-31 13:39:23 - last edited 2023-11-01 01:51:07

So, in case it helps anyone else etc ... I picked up a bunch of new SIMs from a range of providers and put them in my MR600. All of them were 'seen' by the router and a couple even brought the Internet connection up.

I re-tried the 2 Smarty SIMs (at the bottom of the pic) and neither my origonal unlimited Data not a new one were seen (Ignore the hairs etc).

I then cleaned both the Smarty SIMS and put one in and it was then seen! I then tried the other one and that too was seen and went online, confirming it was my origonal Data SIM. ;-)

So it seems that maybe some combination of events (like accidentaly trying the SIM in upsidedown) or there being something 'different' about the Smarty SIMS (it seems there are a few people seeing this issue with Smarty SIMs in TP-Link routers).

Zooming in on the Smarty SIMs on the pre-cleaned picture:

It looks like they were quite grooved / scratched by the SIM socket connections but not so when cleaned and polished, suggesting it might be some form of contamination that is affecting the electrical connectivity?

I wondered if it could be ink from the writing on the back of the SIM, if you put the SIM in upside down?

Obviously it's still very early days but I thought I'd share what I seem to have observed so far. ;-)

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:TP-Link 4G routers not seeing Smarty SIMs?
2023-10-20 07:30:08

@T_i_m 

Hi, do you mean the same MR600 cannot detect one of the two Smarty SIMs? 

What is the hardware and firmware version of the MR600?

With the non-detecting SIM card inserted properly, please try restarting the MR600, if still the same, please save a system log on the MR600 and share it with us.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-10-20 08:52:19

Sunshine wrote

@T_i_m 

Hi, do you mean the same MR600 cannot detect one of the two Smarty SIMs? 

What is the hardware and firmware version of the MR600?

With the non-detecting SIM card inserted properly, please try restarting the MR600, if still the same, please save a system log on the MR600 and share it with us.

@Sunshine 

Morning and yes. The first SIM was supplied by Smarty about a year ago that works but one supplied recently does not.

The hardware is V2 and the firmware a special version that you offered me allows you to turn off all the WiFi, including the MESH stuff. I should be able to access the exact version later (as the router is now at my daughters).

We have both power cycled and factory reset the router with the new SIM in and it's still 'not detected'. Exchange it for the initial SIM and it's seen straight away. I should be able to get a copy of the log later.

Regards, Tim

Options
2023-10-21 17:51:15

@Sunshine 

I can't get the log from the Smarty SIM that doesn't work in that router as it's currently working in a Huawei router at our daughters but the router in question is:

Firmware Version:‪1.6.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 220815 Rel.61640n

Hardware Version:‪Archer MR600 v2 00000002

I requested TP-Link to be able to turn off ALL the WiFi (inc MESH) on the MR600 (I have several TP-Link APs') and that FW was offered. It works with two different Smarty SIMS (one old, one new) but not the Smarty Data sim my daughter received that is currently working in the Huawei router.

Is it possible a 'SIM not detected' problem could be the APN misconfigured or is it something more mechanical?

Cheers, T i m

Options
2023-10-25 02:23:40

@T_i_m 

Hi, misconfigured APN will cause internet not working but will not affect the hardware detection of SIM card, this issue might be related to the thickness of SIM card, please confirm if the non-working SIM card is thinner than other working SIM cards.

If not, we still need to check the system log file to see if the issue can be located.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-10-25 09:31:23

Hi   @Sunshine 

Thanks for the reply.

That makes sense about the APN not impacting the issue, if it's a matter of the SIM not being seen at all.

The first (and working) Smarty SIM is about a year old but of the two new (and so potentially from the same manufacturing batch) Smarty SIMS we have tried, one works and one doesn't.

Unfortunately the SIM that doesn't work in my MR600 is currently working in a Huawei router at our daughters about 10 miles away so not that easy to do any further experiments (but we will try).

Cheers, Tim

Options
2023-10-25 09:44:49

@T_i_m 

This is noted, and please let us know if there is any update.

Options
2023-10-25 17:46:18 - last edited 2023-10-25 17:52:19

I picked up another brand new Smarty SIM today and installed it in my MR-600 Router.

It's also not seen:

The log file (on Debug) shows:

2018-10-01 00:00:37 [5] 4G: init LTE module, set flowstat [enableDataLimit 0, enablePaymentDay 0, paymentDay 1, limitation 0, warningPercent 90]
2018-10-01 00:00:37 [5] 4G: LTE Module: profile num [1], default profile [1], active profile [0]
2018-10-01 00:00:37 [5] 4G: DM: profile num [1], default profile [1], active profile [0]
2018-10-01 00:00:38 [5] System: Enable IPv4 SPI Firewall
2018-10-01 00:00:38 [5] System: Enable IPv6 SPI Firewall
2018-10-01 00:01:16 [6] 4G: WARN: Network selecting failed, mostly rejected.

2018-10-01 00:13:52 [6] System: Device(00:22:FA:64:DB:8A) joins in 2.4G Wlan
2018-10-01 00:13:52 [5] DHCPD: Recv REQUEST from 00:22:FA:64:DB:8A
2018-10-01 00:13:52 [5] DHCPD: Send ACK to 192.168.1.100
2018-10-01 00:14:41 [6] System: User(Mac:00:22:FA:64:DB:8A;IP:192.168.1.100) logs in.

Is there anything else I can add that might help?

Options
Re:TP-Link 4G routers not seeing Smarty SIMs?-Solution
2023-10-31 13:39:23 - last edited 2023-11-01 01:51:07

So, in case it helps anyone else etc ... I picked up a bunch of new SIMs from a range of providers and put them in my MR600. All of them were 'seen' by the router and a couple even brought the Internet connection up.

I re-tried the 2 Smarty SIMs (at the bottom of the pic) and neither my origonal unlimited Data not a new one were seen (Ignore the hairs etc).

I then cleaned both the Smarty SIMS and put one in and it was then seen! I then tried the other one and that too was seen and went online, confirming it was my origonal Data SIM. ;-)

So it seems that maybe some combination of events (like accidentaly trying the SIM in upsidedown) or there being something 'different' about the Smarty SIMS (it seems there are a few people seeing this issue with Smarty SIMs in TP-Link routers).

Zooming in on the Smarty SIMs on the pre-cleaned picture:

It looks like they were quite grooved / scratched by the SIM socket connections but not so when cleaned and polished, suggesting it might be some form of contamination that is affecting the electrical connectivity?

I wondered if it could be ink from the writing on the back of the SIM, if you put the SIM in upside down?

Obviously it's still very early days but I thought I'd share what I seem to have observed so far. ;-)

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-01 02:01:19

@T_i_m 

Hi, thank you very much for the valuable feedback, really happy to know that you've solved the problem finally.

By the way, according to my personal testing, inserting the SIM in upside down will not cause the SIM card stained with ink, so not so sure how it happened with your Smarty SIMs.

Options
2023-11-01 11:38:31

@Sunshine 

Yes, I'm happy we seem to have it working but I'm still not sure I'm happy about the 'why'?

I agree that it doesn't seem that any paint or ink markings have been removed by the SIM socket holder from putting the SIMs in upside down but I'm then confused what the marks were on the SIM contacts and how they could be polished off?

I mean, if they were physical scratches, I'm not sure they would have polished off so easily and if not scratches, what were they and why would removing them make such a marked difference (not working / working)?

Being an electronics tech all my life I'm aware that you don't need much contamination in a connector to stop things working and it's likely to only need one out of the 6 to not connect for the SIM to not be read?

I might see if I can make up a SIM card sized (or longer) cleaning strip so that I can also easily clean the inside of the SIM socket.

Daughter has borrowed my MR600 again but this time with her own unlimited data Smarty SIM (even though the SIM is brand new, only worked (ever) after I've cleaned / polished it?) because the MR600 worked much better than the Huawei 4G router I also leant her.

Once she is happy the Smarty SIM <> MR600 are stable, she will probably order her own MR600. ;-)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1632

Replies: 10

Related Articles