Omada Dynamic DNS for custom providers does not work
Omada Dynamic DNS for custom providers does not work
2023-11-11 16:21:45 - last edited 2023-11-18 12:51:20
Tags: #DDNS
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.12.9

Hello everyone,

i would like to establish a dynamic DNS connection to my custom DNS provider GoIp.

Below is my update URL, which worked fine with my previous Fritz!Box and also works fine in the browser when i replace the placeholders with my credentials.

But this doesn't work in the Omada SDN. After many tests i figured out that the Omada SDN does not make any HTTP request to the DNS server.
Therefore i replaced the update URL with an endpoint from Request Inspector (really useful web tool). To my surprise no request are send or received by the inspector even though I had changed, deactivated or activated the dynamic DNS record.

Does any one know, how to fix this problem?

Interestingly, a connection with No-Ip via the pre-installed provider worked without any problems. However, I would like to use goip in the future.

Other settings:

Interface: WAN

Domain Name: my goip domain

Update Interval: 1h

Some additional informations:

WAN connection: PPPoE

Router: TL-ER7206 v1.0 / Software: 1.3.0
Switch: TL-SG3428MP v4.0 / Software: 4.0.8

Thank you in advance!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Omada Dynamic DNS for custom providers does not work-Solution
2023-11-17 01:39:17 - last edited 2023-11-18 12:51:20

Hi  @Ziesie @NinjaMonkey 

Ziesie wrote

Hi @Clive_A, yes, the same WAN Connection and same software, but for the ER7206 v1.0. I have add this with some additional information to my original post.

Can you try this Set your WAN Connection Type to be Dynamic IP or any other type. Save. Then switch back to the PPPoE. Save. Try to connect your DDNS again on the config page?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada Dynamic DNS for custom providers does not work-Solution
2023-11-23 23:28:39 - last edited 2023-11-24 01:37:12

@Ziesie 

Ziesie wrote

@Naissus I had the same behavior as you.

You can find my hardware specs in the original post #1.

My solution was to disable the DDNS connection. Then change the WAN connection to Dynamic IP, wait a minute and reset to PPPoE. After enabling the DDNS connection it worked for me.

I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't work for you. Maybe you should open a separate post.

Issue is resolved

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/609288?replyId=1282986

Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:Omada Dynamic DNS for custom providers does not work
2023-11-13 05:56:08

@Ziesie 

Hey, a helpful post here you can take a look:

Custom DDNS Is Not Working

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-11-14 16:18:56

Hey @Virgo,

thank you very much for sharing the post.
I checked all points several times.

The main problem is that the Omada Controller (or router) doesn't make any request to the DNS provider. So even if the configuration is correct (and i think it is) the DNS provider never receives a message from my controller (I testest the outgoing request with the tool Request Inspector).

Options
2023-11-15 03:27:17

Hi @Ziesie 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

No. Do you Wireshark to verify that there is zero traffic from the Controller to the DDNS provider? I don't know the tool you use. But did you make sure that this inspect the traffic from the device OC200? At least you should make port mirroring. Same thing to the Wireshark. Or you cannot monitor the traffic that is made from the OC200. You cannot capture the traffic from OC200 if you are using a tool without port mirroring.

So, there seems to be no evidence you can provide and you "claim" the controller does not send the requests to the provider.

This article was written by me several weeks ago to fix issues that people pop up with questions about the DDNS. They all "claimed" the DDNS does not work. It turned out to be an 80% incorrect URL they find. 20% incorrect format. The tests are all done by our team and verified they work properly if you put the URL.

It was just weeks ago, and I am not sure how you concluded that it "does not" work.

I am open to seeing more work done on your end and how you replicate this. Method mentioned above. Wireshark. I can also get the test team involved in this again to see what's wrong this time.

How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

How to Use Port Mirror to Capture Packets in the Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-15 07:30:59

Hi  @Clive_A ,

love the new article which actually mentions FreeDNS, very helpful, kudos!

would like to ask, if the problem described here https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/632358?replyId=1270616 is an issue with my configuration?

just a reminder, ddns insight shows my (pppoe) WAN is always offline and hence does not update ddns,

or is that a bug with the r605v1 that i'll have to live with?

Options
2023-11-15 08:16:10

Hi @NinjaMonkey 

NinjaMonkey wrote

Hi  @Clive_A ,

love the new article which actually mentions FreeDNS, very helpful, kudos!

would like to ask, if the problem described here https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/632358?replyId=1270616 is an issue with my configuration?

just a reminder, ddns insight shows my (pppoe) WAN is always offline and hence does not update ddns,

or is that a bug with the r605v1 that i'll have to live with?

What's the WAN status instead of the status in the DDNS?

And can you make sure you follow the exact URL provided by the team?

Is this WAN up and online? If yes, but it shows offline in the DDNS, that might be an issue. Have you tried to reboot the controller and see if it can sync the device status correctly?

Options
2023-11-15 11:21:09

@Clive_A WAN status is up, currently writing this post from that WAN :)

URL is exact, even overwrote it with copy-paste from your KB article

i had rebooted the controller & everything else 11 days ago due to UPS failure, and status has not changed, same problem as in that thread

more than happy to provide uncensored screenshots and/or any logs required privately.. 

Options
2023-11-15 18:18:05

Hey everyone,

@NinjaMonkey_A maybe we have the same problem. In my case the status in the ddns insights is also "offline" while the WAN connection is online.

@Clive_A first of all thanks for your advice, i am really glad to be in direct contact with the TP-Link Team. When I have time, I will do some test with Wireshark.

My Tool (Request Inspector, first search result from google) is just a website that shows all incoming request to a specific URL.

@NinjaMonkey_A you might also want to test if your omada controller send an outgoing http-requests to a DNS Server (simulated by the Request Insceptor).

Options
2023-11-16 01:02:50 - last edited 2023-11-16 01:03:02

Hi @Ziesie 

Ziesie wrote

Hey everyone,

@NinjaMonkey_A maybe we have the same problem. In my case the status in the ddns insights is also "offline" while the WAN connection is online.

@Clive_A first of all thanks for your advice, i am really glad to be in direct contact with the TP-Link Team. When I have time, I will do some test with Wireshark.

My Tool (Request Inspector, first search result from google) is just a website that shows all incoming request to a specific URL.

@NinjaMonkey_A you might also want to test if your omada controller send an outgoing http-requests to a DNS Server (simulated by the Request Insceptor).

Is your ER605 V1 1.3.0 as his? Is your WAN Connection Type PPPoE like him?

Options
2023-11-16 01:38:09

Hi @NinjaMonkey 

NinjaMonkey wrote

@Clive_A WAN status is up, currently writing this post from that WAN :)

URL is exact, even overwrote it with copy-paste from your KB article

i had rebooted the controller & everything else 11 days ago due to UPS failure, and status has not changed, same problem as in that thread

more than happy to provide uncensored screenshots and/or any logs required privately.. 

Gotta ask again, Controller version, DDNS provider name?

The link you sent earlier shows you are using a different DDNS.https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/632358?replyId=1270616

It shows "offline" on the DDNS page, which means the DDNS cannot sync or sync unsuccessfully. I don't think it relates to the offline on the WAN.

So, please help answer your current version, provider name and the URL you are using now.

Options
2023-11-16 05:17:42

@Clive_A sure, hardware controller oc200 v1.26.3 Build 20230906 Rel.36269 / 5.12.9

this is the exact URL: http://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@freedns.afraid.org/nic/update?hostname=[DOMAIN]&myip=[IP]

exactly as posted on their site:

I believe it to be an issue related to PPPoE / er605v1, that seems to be the common denominator among reports of custom ddns not working.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1219

Replies: 17

Tags

DDNS
Related Articles