Help getting better performance from deco mesh

Help getting better performance from deco mesh

14 Reply
Re:Help getting better performance from deco mesh
2023-11-16 16:25:29 - last edited 2023-11-16 17:07:29

yves_b wrote

@Alexandre. The powerline backhaul is established and operational.

@yves_b 

While we are waiting for @ldean to get his new set of M9 Plus and add them to Deco mesh according to my recommendations, I don't mind to spend more time on your comment. I didn't want to go in many details about what I think is not right with powerline link, to avoid making my posts too long, but we can go into details here.

Let's start with the following: in the first post, take careful look at "Show Map" screenshot, which is left screenshot of the two, and tell me to which Deco according to that screenshot "spare room" P7 is connected.

Options
2023-11-16 17:12:31

ldean wrote

@Alexandre. Thank you again for the detailed guidance! I've ordered the m9 plus set and should get it tomorrow! Looking forward to things being less wobbly (fingers crossed)!

@ldean 

One more thing: we might still find use for M5 you have, so don't dispose or give away it yet. Remove from Deco mesh - yes, but put it aside just in case. Build Deco mesh with M9 Plus only as I suggested, then after your testing of WiFi coverage on both floors I'll tell you if M5 will need to be added to that mesh or not. 

Options
2023-11-16 17:16:37
Look forward to it! It would be great if I could put it in my outbuilding for some good garden coverage, but sadly I have no power out there.
Options
2023-12-07 19:42:08 - last edited 2023-12-07 19:43:28

@Alexandre. 

It's been a while, but I've been letting things settle a bit. The decos no longer drop randomly, but my speed is a bit patchy - at least on my phone. 

So, I had a few issues setting it up as an M9 only network. User error and not the greatest instructions in the Dec app meant I had to create a whole new network which was slightly challenging as i wanted all my devices to still work without changing them all, and I ended up with the old network still live. Chaos ensues. 

Then all was well, but speeds were slow, so I thought maybe I used the wrong ethernet cable to attach the deco to the router, so bought a new cat6. Maybe cat7 is better? Nevertheless, it seems fine. This is what I get on my work laptop which is next to the main deco (on wifi): 

It gets closer to the below (40Mbps download) when on my work VPN, but that's probably no surprise.

This is what I get on my phone in the same room (the office, next to the main deco):

and this is in the kitchen (about 15 meters from the main deco and on a different floor): 

Weird.

And this is what Deco thinks:

And finally, this is what my configuration looks like now:

I made the kitchen connect to the spare room, which is upstairs from the kitchen, so only about 2.5 meters away, as opposed to the main deco which is the other side of the house. Not sure if that's right or not.

Any thoughts?

Options
Related Articles