WAN Ping Attack messages

WAN Ping Attack messages
WAN Ping Attack messages
2023-11-14 18:53:01 - last edited 2023-12-14 05:40:05
Tags: #Warnings
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20230511 Rel.51317

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to networking. I recently purchased some Wi-Fi smart outlets (Smart Plug EIGHTREE on Amazon), and since I set them up, I've been receiving the following warning message approximately every ten minutes: 

WARNING  [osg:ER605 Router XXXX] detected WAN Ping attack from 157.185.175.27 and dropped 230 packets.

I'm not sure if the two events are related, but the timing indicates they are. I have the outlets connected on a subnet that is separate from my main network.

I have some questions about these warnings. 

• What might be causing these WAN ping attacks?
  • What should I do to mitigate them? And/or the warning messages?
  • Is this an indication that the smart outlets are not trustworthy and should be returned? 

If there are more details I can provide that would help in diagnosing, let me know.

Controller: OC200 V1 Router: ER605 v1.0 AP: EAP610 (US) v1.0
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WAN Ping Attack messages-Solution
2023-12-14 05:39:57 - last edited 2023-12-14 05:40:05

@Clive_A 

The IP owner you listed is Meteverse, not Metaverse. The messages were occuring with one or more plugs plugged in and would cease when they were all unplugged.

I contacted the manufacturer and they gave me some steps to confirm the issue, but I found that the messages ceased after I updated my router's firmware. It was right around the same time that I contacted the company, so I'm not sure whether they did something or the firmware contained a bugfix for this. Regardless, the issue seems to be resolved now, so I'll let it go unless and until I see the messages again. 

Thank you for taking the time to help! 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:WAN Ping Attack messages
2023-11-15 01:24:58 - last edited 2023-11-15 01:25:24

Hi @Wild-Wanderer 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Wild-Wanderer wrote

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to networking. I recently purchased some Wi-Fi smart outlets (Smart Plug EIGHTREE on Amazon), and since I set them up, I've been receiving the following warning message approximately every ten minutes: 

WARNING  [osg:ER605 Router XXXX] detected WAN Ping attack from 157.185.175.27 and dropped 230 packets.

I'm not sure if the two events are related, but the timing indicates they are. I have the outlets connected on a subnet that is separate from my main network.

I have some questions about these warnings. 

• What might be causing these WAN ping attacks?
  • What should I do to mitigate them? And/or the warning messages?
  • Is this an indication that the smart outlets are not trustworthy and should be returned? 

If there are more details I can provide that would help in diagnosing, let me know.

1. Your WAN may be exposed to someone. Or leaked. Unable to determine if this is an attack or a false alarm. I searched this IP, seems to be metaverse's ASN.

Do you have any Metaverse products?

Might be a false alarm.

2. ACL can block WAN IN traffic. So, enter this IP address with /32, you can block it from pinging your WAN IP. Or you can turn off the notification but it still pings your IP but the system does not show this warning anymore. So, go to Log and disable firewall-related notifications/warnings.

3. No. I would so some further research before making a conclusion that your smart outlets are not trustworthy.

So, basically, you can remove the smart outlets and check if this ping still continues, if it stops, that would be a problem with the smart outlets. Plug it back and monitor if there is any more warnings.

The log reports every 10 minutes. It does not spam the entries so you probably need to wait for a while and check that.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:WAN Ping Attack messages-Solution
2023-12-14 05:39:57 - last edited 2023-12-14 05:40:05

@Clive_A 

The IP owner you listed is Meteverse, not Metaverse. The messages were occuring with one or more plugs plugged in and would cease when they were all unplugged.

I contacted the manufacturer and they gave me some steps to confirm the issue, but I found that the messages ceased after I updated my router's firmware. It was right around the same time that I contacted the company, so I'm not sure whether they did something or the firmware contained a bugfix for this. Regardless, the issue seems to be resolved now, so I'll let it go unless and until I see the messages again. 

Thank you for taking the time to help! 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 370

Replies: 2

Tags

Warnings
Related Articles