ER605 V2 2.2.2 USB Storage - HOW??

2023-11-25 03:30:42 - last edited 2023-12-15 05:51:54
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2 Build 20231017 Rel.68869

When I updated my ER605 V2 to 2.2.2 Build 20231017 Rel.68869, the USB port has now a dual function - as Modem or USB Storage.  However, I plugged in a brand new 128 GB USB Flash drive but when I go to the USB Storage option in the management interface, it does NOT recognize the USB flash drive that I plugged in.

Is there any document in the TP-Link support site to explain the new USB Storage function of the port? What type/capacity USB drive that is compatible for this new "USB Storage" function?  The "?" in that section in the management interface does not show requirements for the ER605 to recognize a drive is plugged in!  Common TP-Link.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 V2 2.2.2 USB Storage - HOW??-Solution
2023-12-15 05:51:50 - last edited 2023-12-15 05:51:54

To anyone who's in the same shoes,

This is an issue with the backup which was exported from the V1 exported to V2. This can be done but it is not right.

Your exported backup from V1 will break the logic in V2 and you may face some weird issues.

We don't recommend anyone do this and in future firmware updates on Omada models, we will warn and ban such an action on the software level when you import the wrong backup.

We don't plan to develop any config editor or offer any form of help in helping you edit your config to adapt to newer hardware versions. To avoid any issues, start from scratch if you are in standalone mode.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:ER605 V2 2.2.2 USB Storage - HOW??
2023-11-25 07:51:36

@firefox111 

Try question mark :-)

Options
2023-11-25 13:22:46 - last edited 2023-11-25 14:50:22

@MR.S 

Well, as I have mentioned in my original post - that question mark is no help at all because it does not explain why the USB Flash drive I have inserted is not recognized! There is no mention of drive specification - whether a USB 2, USB 3, or it has to be a USB disk drive (not a USB flash drive)?

Can someone give me a link on a documentation on how to use the USB Storage function in the 2.2.2 firmware?

Also, those of you who have not updated to 2.2.2 and if you do, the USB port can now be used as a USB Storage for scheduling automatic backup or maybe for storing Logs.

Options
2023-11-25 23:46:45

@firefox111 

Aha!!! It recognized my old 16-GB Sandisk Cruzer. The first one I tried was a brand new 158-GB PNY flash drive.

So what is the limitation of the USB Storage port?

Options
2023-11-26 02:26:36 - last edited 2023-11-26 02:31:32

Update: Actually, this is what happened: 1) I reset my ER605 V2 in my lab to wipe out the current config then I plugged in the USB flash drive and it did scanned the Sandisk Cruzer as a Storage Device; 2) I restored the backup config from my production ER605 V2 to the lab ER605 V2 and it no longer recognizes any flash drive I plug in.

No wonder why my production cannot see a storage device no matter what!  What could be causing this in my config?  Note that in my WAN config, I only have the WAN port selected - not the USB Modem nor the WAN/LAN1.

Is there any other configuration option that could prevent the USB port from scanning for a storage device?

Options
2023-11-28 07:00:36

Hi @firefox111 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

firefox111 wrote

Update: Actually, this is what happened: 1) I reset my ER605 V2 in my lab to wipe out the current config then I plugged in the USB flash drive and it did scanned the Sandisk Cruzer as a Storage Device; 2) I restored the backup config from my production ER605 V2 to the lab ER605 V2 and it no longer recognizes any flash drive I plug in.

No wonder why my production cannot see a storage device no matter what!  What could be causing this in my config?  Note that in my WAN config, I only have the WAN port selected - not the USB Modem nor the WAN/LAN1.

Is there any other configuration option that could prevent the USB port from scanning for a storage device?

Both are using the same firmware, V2 2.2.2.

The one in production exported its backup and imported it to the lab ER605, and it experienced the same issue, no USB drive detected.

Can you confirm the firmware and the drive is the same? Even if you scan the drive, it does not show up?

Strange. Do you still have this backup?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-28 14:36:26 - last edited 2023-11-28 18:45:40

@Clive_A 

There definitely is something wrong with the way the USB Storage function is created!  This is the lab ER605 V2 with firmware V2 2.2.2:::: When I wipe out the configuration and just the plain 2.2.2 firmware, it scans the drive - a brand new 128 GB PNY USB3 flash drive formated as exFAT.  When I load the config from the backup of my production (which by the way does not scan the same drive), it no longer scans the drive!

Is there no other members in this forum to help out?  It's always Clive_A who is responding to all my posts!

Production ER605 V2 with firmware version 2.2.2 Build 20231017 Rel.68869

Lab ER605 V2 with firmware version 2.2.2 Build 20231017 Rel.68869

Both units don't scan for a USB Storage drive if loaded with the current production configuragion.

Options
2023-11-29 02:54:41

Hi @firefox111 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Can you try the beta 2.1.5? Early Access ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware for Omada Controller V5.11 (Released on Oct 26th, 2023)

And I will need a backup of your product ER605 and will send it to the test team for reproduction of the issue.

Options
2023-11-29 02:55:57

Hi @firefox111 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID231156128, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
2023-11-29 15:48:33

@Clive_A 

Thank you for creating a ticket for me.  I'd like to be able to stick a USB Storage there to store backups and logs.

Options
Re:ER605 V2 2.2.2 USB Storage - HOW??-Solution
2023-12-15 05:51:50 - last edited 2023-12-15 05:51:54

To anyone who's in the same shoes,

This is an issue with the backup which was exported from the V1 exported to V2. This can be done but it is not right.

Your exported backup from V1 will break the logic in V2 and you may face some weird issues.

We don't recommend anyone do this and in future firmware updates on Omada models, we will warn and ban such an action on the software level when you import the wrong backup.

We don't plan to develop any config editor or offer any form of help in helping you edit your config to adapt to newer hardware versions. To avoid any issues, start from scratch if you are in standalone mode.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1164

Replies: 11

Related Articles