Deco failover in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco failover in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco failover in AP mode
Deco failover in AP mode
2023-11-27 21:01:12
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: current

I purchased an X50 2-pack for use at another location and configured them here to test.  Each unit was hardwired to a router port (ISP-supplied router has a 4-port LAN switch built in).  They work fine, including roaming between the APs.

However, as a test, I removed power from the "main" AP (the first one set up).  Although the clients re-associated to the remaining AP and could access the internet with no problem, the AP started flashing red (even after a reboot) and could not be accessed from the Deco app.  Is there a way for the units to be treated equally?  Or, is there a way to set them to show green if they are working and have internet access?

How can I view the RSSI (or some other measure of signal strength, quality or link rate)?  All I see in the app is "strong", "fair", etc., not useful for making fine adjustments to device position.  I can access the "main" AP by HTTP or HTTPS, but that shows no signal strength at all.

Also, I can connect via SSH on port 20001, but have been unable to log in (tried admin, root, and my username).  What is the proper login procedure?

TIA for advice on any of these points.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco failover in AP mode
2023-11-28 01:25:32 - last edited 2023-11-28 01:28:54

@rikishi 

rikishi wrote

as a test, I removed power from the "main" AP (the first one set up).  Although the clients re-associated to the remaining AP and could access the internet with no problem, the AP started flashing red (even after a reboot) and could not be accessed from the Deco app. 

With Deco app, patience is required. Wait for about 4-5 minutes after Main Deco is powered off, have smartphone connected to Deco mesh WiFi, start Deco app and you will be greeted by the screen similar to this:

Click on "Set Main Deco" and next screen will open with list of wired Satellite Deco you can choose from:

I didn't proceed beyond that point, but I am assuming when new Main Deco is chosen the LED will stop blinking red and switch to green. You'll also get access to Deco mesh reporting and management pages in Deco app.

Options
2023-11-28 09:49:20

@Alexandre. Thanks for the prompt reply.  One question, though:  If I need to do this while away from the site, what are the technical requirements?  Would I need a layer 2 tunnel?  My present VPN server gives a tunnel address on the LAN subnet but it's routed and doesn't pass broadcast packets.

Options
2023-11-28 13:37:34

rikishi wrote

@Alexandre. One question, though:  If I need to do this while away from the site, what are the technical requirements?  

@rikishi 

You can't do that remotely. In most cases you can use Deco app to manage Deco mesh remotely, but replacing Main Deco appears to be one of exceptions. On my smartphone connected to cellular data I am presented with the following screen when Main Deco is down:

Options
2023-11-28 13:41:30 - last edited 2023-11-28 13:42:11

@rikishi 

Answering your question about LED: you can't force Deco mesh show green when there is an issue such as Main Deco down. What you can do is turn off LED permanently. This option is under Advanced/LED Control:

If you want LED to stay same regardless of Deco mesh state, it should not matter if LED is green or off.

Options