D5 mesh connect over home LAN

2023-11-28 20:36:04 - last edited 2023-11-30 19:25:04
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I have Deco D5 AC1300 mesh, there are 3 units. One unit is main as router, 2 are secondary as satelites. Problem is that distances from one deco to another one are bigger than Deco is able to handle, so the main one works good but the rest not. 

At home I have LAN - in each room I have RJ45 socket, all are connected together in 24 port switch. Is there a way how to connect the secondary deco units to the main one thru this LAN? How I need to configure it? 

Or is it possible to set more than one unit as the main ones, f.e. with same ssid and password? Will it work? 

Many thanks for advice. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:D5 mesh connect over home LAN-Solution
2023-11-28 21:01:12 - last edited 2023-11-30 19:25:04

@Jindrich 

I think you meant Deco M5 mesh (not D5). 

You can have all Deco units, Main and Satellites, connected through LAN. Also, for maximum flexibility on how you can hardwire Deco units, Deco mesh must run in Access Point mode.

So, two steps:

1. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

2. Hardwire Satellite Deco the way you want, check in Deco app that they use Ethernet backhaul. Example:

In this example, Office M5 and Study M5 use Ethernet link, Bedroom Deco connects by WiFi.

If Satellites won't connect by Ethernet when hardwired, see this document: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:D5 mesh connect over home LAN-Solution
2023-11-28 21:01:12 - last edited 2023-11-30 19:25:04

@Jindrich 

I think you meant Deco M5 mesh (not D5). 

You can have all Deco units, Main and Satellites, connected through LAN. Also, for maximum flexibility on how you can hardwire Deco units, Deco mesh must run in Access Point mode.

So, two steps:

1. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

2. Hardwire Satellite Deco the way you want, check in Deco app that they use Ethernet backhaul. Example:

In this example, Office M5 and Study M5 use Ethernet link, Bedroom Deco connects by WiFi.

If Satellites won't connect by Ethernet when hardwired, see this document: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:D5 mesh connect over home LAN
2023-11-30 19:24:57

@Alexandre. 

Thank you very much for your help. I tried it and it works 👍

I was not able to set Ethernet backhaul manually but when I removed the deco unit from app and added it again connected thru the Ethernet cable, after restart and firmware upgrade it started work like a charm. 

So one more time thanks for help. 

And yes - it is Deco M5 🤣. 

Options