No option to change NAT type

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-05 18:31:00
Tags: #NAT
Model: TL-WR741ND  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.16.6 Build 130529 Rel.47286n
Hello, I'm having a lot of trouble playing a certain online video game. Basically, the problem is that I have a "symmetric" NAT type. I tried to find a way to change it on the router page but the options they suggest online don't even exist on the page.

What should I do? Is it possible to change the NAT type? I have a TL-WR740N wireless router (I did not find it in the models available when writing the post). I must add that I have not updated the firmware. I would like to know if I should do it.
Options
12 Reply
Re:No option to change NAT type
2023-12-06 06:58:37

@JoseManuel22 

Follow this thread for suggestion how to solve your issue, however TL-WR740N is an EoL (End of Life) device - its latest FW release is from 2015 - here.

While it's a good idea to update your TL-WR740N with the latest FW release, it's also a good idea to consider buying a new router model which has an active FW support.

This will give you more speed, features and recent security updates which is important while surfing the internet.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-12-10 01:12:44

@terziyski  

Unfortunately, things like opening ports or activating DMZ (the general fixes that exist throughout the internet) do not solve anything for me. I still have the problem of a "symmetric NAT" and there is no option on the router's local website to modify the NAT. That's why I was wondering if updating the firmware would somehow make that option appear there.

Options
2023-12-10 02:19:03 - last edited 2023-12-10 02:19:57

@JoseManuel22 

Hi,

Most routers made for use in home networks have no NAT type selection. So I don't think the NAT of your TL-WR740N is causing the problem.

If port forwarding or DMZ don't solve the problems you are having with that online video game, then there is a good chance your Internet Service Provider has another NAT on their side (referred to as "CG-NAT"). 

Have you already checked whether the Internet connection of your router has been assigned a public IPv4 address by your ISP?

In case your router's IP address is a private IPv4 address, then there must be another NAT beside the one inside the TL-WR740N somewhere.

Options
2023-12-10 03:20:09

@woozle Thank you very much for the answers.

When I say that the problem is the NAT, it is because the game page tells me so. That's why I insist on that problem. I am attaching a screenshot so you can see it.

About IPv4, I don't really know what you mean by that. How can I check that?

NAT Problem

Options
2023-12-10 13:01:03

@JoseManuel22 

You can check your WAN port IP address here:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-12-14 00:27:26

@terziyski 

Sorry for responding so late and thanks for the response. I already went to the page and saw that there is indeed an IP address there, but I don't understand what exactly I should do with that information. Excuse my ignorance, I don't understand almost any of this. 

I just want to fix this and I can't.

Options
2023-12-14 02:29:09 - last edited 2023-12-14 02:30:16

@JoseManuel22 

If the WAN IP address is in these ranges:

• 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
  • 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
  • 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
  • 100.64.0.0 – 100.127.255.255 (CG-NAT)

that means your ISP has provided a private IP address for your router and that's the reason for your issue.

For the same reason you would need a port-forwarding (virtual servers) configured on your router for NAT type changing.

Options
2023-12-14 22:44:29

@terziyski 

Apparently I have an IP there between one of those ranges.

About port-forwarding, I have no idea how to do it correctly or I don't know if it even works. I tried it a few weeks ago. It asks for a lot of data that I don't even understand and when I tried to put in what the internet was telling me I ended up with a slow connection and I had to deactivate it and it never solved my problem anyway. Is there any way to do it correctly?

Options
2023-12-18 21:27:03

@JoseManuel22 

Two things.

1) If you find port forwarding too complicated, then just use the DMZ feature. It will just forward everything. All you need to do is enter the IP address of the computer you use to play the game.

2) If your WAN IP address falls within one of the four address ranges that terziyski mentioned earlier, then there is another (symmetric) NAT elsewhere. In this case nothing you do on the TL-WR741ND can solve this problem, not port forwarding and not DMZ. Even replacing the TL-WR741ND with another router would not help.

By the way. Where does the cable you've plugged into the blue Ethernet port of the TL-WR741ND come from? Does it just go into a wall? What type of broadband Internet have you got? Fiber, cable, DSL?

Options
2023-12-19 00:08:35

@woozle 

Thanks for the reply.

1. About the DMZ, the IP that I have to set is the LAN IP, right? If I'm right, I already did it and it doesn't work. If not, forgive my ignorance, I don't really know what I'm doing. Another thing I noticed is that it asks me to have the "DHCP client function" disabled, but I have it active. I don't really know if I should remove it since it came from the factory and I don't know what repercussions it has. Anyway, if it's not that bad, I can remove it. I would like you to confirm if it has anything to do with it.

2. I use fiber. The cable comes from a device that, at the same time, is connected on the street.

By the way, my router is not a TL-WR741ND but a TL-WR740N, I put the first one in the post because I did not find the second one in the available options when creating the post. Sorry for the confusion.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2050

Replies: 12

Tags

NAT
Related Articles