Support several Wifi internet sources

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-08 12:49:29 - last edited 2023-12-11 09:28:12

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a local network where the router automatically uses whatever phone (configured on the router, of course) has enabled Wi-Fi sharing as an internet source.

I can totally see how this should not be a big problem when there is a single phone to take into account (you just configure that phone's shared network in the router interface), but I can't seem to find any information regarding a router whose software allows to simply pick one of the Wi-Fi SSID it knows as an internet source (exactly as a smartphone would do with all the knows Wi-Fi sources it knows, for example) and if none exist, just provide a local network for my devices to communicate with each other.

Hoping I'm reasonably in the right category and that I'm clear enough.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Support several Wifi internet sources-Solution
2023-12-09 01:47:19 - last edited 2023-12-11 09:28:12

@ThomasMo 

Hi,

I am not aware of any Wi-Fi router or Wi-Fi range extender (repeater) that can do it, at least not with the stock firmware.

I know in OpenWrt it is possible to add several networks to the wireless WAN (wwan) interface.
However, I have actually tried this with the current version of OpenWrt, but somehow it would only reestablish a working network connection with the last wireless network that was added. The other previously added wireless networks would still connect physically, but no IP connection was made.

So, "roaming" between different Wi-Fi Internet sources doesn't work in OpenWrt either. (although this might be a software bug in the current version)

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Support several Wifi internet sources-Solution
2023-12-09 01:47:19 - last edited 2023-12-11 09:28:12

@ThomasMo 

Hi,

I am not aware of any Wi-Fi router or Wi-Fi range extender (repeater) that can do it, at least not with the stock firmware.

I know in OpenWrt it is possible to add several networks to the wireless WAN (wwan) interface.
However, I have actually tried this with the current version of OpenWrt, but somehow it would only reestablish a working network connection with the last wireless network that was added. The other previously added wireless networks would still connect physically, but no IP connection was made.

So, "roaming" between different Wi-Fi Internet sources doesn't work in OpenWrt either. (although this might be a software bug in the current version)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Support several Wifi internet sources
2023-12-09 08:51:25

Thanks a lot for the experimentation @woozle. Looks like what I have in mind is a lot more exotic than I had hoped.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 177

Replies: 2

Related Articles