Very poor OpenVPN speeds

Very poor OpenVPN speeds
Very poor OpenVPN speeds
2023-12-11 04:25:40
Tags: #VPN #openvpn
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I'm wondering if anyone else here is having the same issues or something similar.

I have the ER8411 V1 firmware 1.1.1 (Beta)

This and all other devices have been adopted into Omada and everything is up to date.

I have 2 cable internet connections both the same speed 1000 down 50 up.

Wan1:

• Modem is a 2.5g lan cable modem

• Connected to a TPLink SFP+ adapter in the 10gb SFP+ wan1 port

• This port reads at the proper 2.5g speeds

• I am able to consistently get 980mbps down and 49mbps up

• I require most if not all outbound internet traffic to go out this port

• Current Policy Routing in place to route most VLAN traffic out here

• This port is considered Primary Wan

Wan2:

• Modem is a single 1g Lan cable modem

• Connected to the 1g Wan/Lan port 4

• Again, I am able to consistently get 980mbps down and 49mbps up

• This port is used for incoming OpenVPN traffic

• This port is considered Backup Wan.

Below is a diagram of my network

r/TPLink_Omada - Having issues with OpenVPN speeds

I have in place Policy Routing to route OpenVPN traffic out over Wan1, and this is confirmed working when I connect and check my isp.

My issue is that speeds for the user are in the sub 15mbps and sometimes below 10mbps.

This traffic is given its own VLAN with no bandwidth controls and yet I am still getting sub-par speeds.

I would expect that my max possible would be somewhere around 50mbps, but I am getting nothing close to that.

Is there some sort or combination of settings that I am missing?

Have others experienced this issue to?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Very poor OpenVPN speeds
2023-12-11 08:42:52 - last edited 2023-12-11 13:27:29

@Volts.Lee 

Oh yes, I have given up OpenVPN on ER8411, I use policy route on ER8411 and router out on a dedicated WAN (SFP+ WAN1) port connected to a UXG LAN and Wireguard or OpenVPN from the UXG to final destination.

the only problem is that i have to use a two router, and more money to get the job done.

Options
2023-12-11 20:44:01

@MR.S 

Can you explain why you need this in your setup?

MR.S wrote

@Volts.Lee 

Oh yes, I have given up OpenVPN on ER8411, I use policy route on ER8411 and router out on a dedicated WAN (SFP+ WAN1) port connected to a UXG LAN and Wireguard or OpenVPN from the UXG to final destination.

the only problem is that i have to use a two router, and more money to get the job done.

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-12-12 02:49:00 - last edited 2023-12-12 02:53:03

Hi @Volts.Lee 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Is this a result of the iperf? Do you iperf this when nothing else is taking upload bandwidth? What's the iperf result?

Some say they don't experience issues on OVPN. Some say they experience. So, are the variables ruled out in the test?

What is the down and upload at the client site?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-12 05:39:16

KimcheeGUN wrote

@MR.S 

Can you explain why you need this in your setup?

MR.S wrote

@Volts.Lee 

@KimcheeGUN 

I need something that works. neither OpenVPN nor wireguard on Omada routers work very well. SO, the Unifi UXG does the job, and it does it damn well.

Options
2023-12-12 13:51:03

@MR.S 

I get that part... but why use 2 routers?  Why not just use the UniFi network?  Why mix it up?

(not trying to be offensive, just being curious on your setup)  

Options
2023-12-12 14:01:57

@KimcheeGUN 

good question smiley

spent too much money on TP-Link, besides TP-Link is pretty good for most things except OpenVPN and Wireguard... nobody beats TP-Link on ipsec site to site either,

so hope OpenVPN and Wireguard will be updated on TP-Link soon. now it is outdated compared to its competitor.

for now, I get to mix the best of both worlds..

Options
2023-12-12 14:27:35

@MR.S 

AH gotcha!  I completely get it now!  Thanks for the explanation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 375

Replies: 7

Tags

VPN
openvpn
Related Articles