USB Tether Setup for USB Modem for Failover

2023-12-16 17:49:15
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

USB Tether Setup to pass through internet fort a ER707-M2 or an ER605?

I'm guessing if something works for that or other business class routers it should be adaptable for other devices as well.

I don't have a lot of access to USB modems, also not finding a  lot of Canadian ISP providers with Mobile Internet and USB modems.

Would be open to a few suggestions or recommendations on how to provide a fail over once the hardwired internet provider goes offline.

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:USB Tether Setup for USB Modem for Failover
a week ago

Hey  @FlameOtter , I was thinking the same thing but using an old cellphone instead. I will try with my Android phone through my home-lab this weekend.

I will keep you posted.

Tom.

Jack of all trades, master of some. Anything is possible when focusing on solutions rather than problems.
Options
Re:USB Tether Setup for USB Modem for Failover
a week ago

@FlameOtter 

USB tethering to a mobile phone requires that the router supports RNDIS. The ER605 (and I assume the ER707) are based on quite an old version of Openwrt and do not have support for RNDIS.

If your phone runs Android 11 or newer then it will support Ethernet tethering, so with a USB to Ethernet adapter you can configure an additional WAN port on the router and connect directly to that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 251

Replies: 2

Related Articles