tp-link via ethernet doesn't work

2023-12-20 10:34:52
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I regularly get over 60 ghz from my BT Smart Hub tested via an ethernet cable. This is in a small office attached to the house. I use 3 tp-links scattered through the house to improve reception, however they don't help. Eg if I plug my laptop into one via an ethernet cable I can't get more than 5 ghz, often less. It's a normal 50 year old brick house. All the blue lights are on so what is going wrong?

Options
3 Reply
Re:tp-link via ethernet doesn't work
2023-12-20 18:34:11

@MissMoppet 

Hi,

I suggest you do the following test.

Take any one of the three TL-WA850RE and plug it into a socket that is located within the same room as the BT Smart Hub, then connect your laptop to that TL-WA850RE via Ethernet cable and perform the speedtest again. 

If you now get the 60 Mbps (I assume Megabit per second is what you meant to write), then unfortunately it appears the brick walls of your house are indeed absorbing much of the wireless signals.

Options
2023-12-21 09:07:03

@woozle I am grateful for your response. Doing what you suggest I get 60+ Mbps by plugging in a cable to a TP-Link in the same room as the router, but moving to another room it drops to 13 (also via cable) but around a miserable 3 Mbps by just relying on WiFi. It's just an ordinary brick house, one of millions, so I don't understand how tp-link and others make the claims they do?

Options
2023-12-21 14:17:40

@MissMoppet BT are now saying that your range extenders "are not compatible to a BT set up" and are trying to get me to "upgrade" to their latest Smart Hub and discs. I find that hard to believe so could you please confirm that rthe RE's I have do work with the BT Smart Hub? Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 250

Replies: 3

Related Articles