Router doesn't give fixed IP address

2023-12-26 10:52:45 - last edited 2023-12-27 02:03:02
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

This IoT device is wired via TP-link EAP615 wall, directly connected with ER7212PC.

Result: IP address within LAN (Vlan 1) instead of IoT network (Vlan4). 

Any advice?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Router doesn't give fixed IP address -Solution
2024-01-05 02:27:07 - last edited 2024-01-05 02:28:06

Hi @hb100

hb100 wrote

@Clive_A thanks again and good news:

Good suggestion (to remove/ rule out EAP). So I wired Ikea Hub directly in LAN port 9, followed the same steps as mentioned above. First results, no succes/ the same (IP from LAN network instead of the IoT). Then I though, what happens if you change the PVID for the port into PVID of the IoT lan, in my case this is VLAN 4, so PVID 4. This solved the issue: The IKEA hub received IP address from IoT network. 

I also tested what this does for the EAP, and indeed, putting the PVID on 4, leads to IP addresses within defined DHCP range and if reservered to the reserved IP address.

So this solved my issue. 

Then the issue originally was NOT about the reservation. It is a misconfiguration in your VLAN which is supposed to be done prior to the DHCP reservation. I thought you would have done that part.

So, if you don't know VLAN, this should have been brought up earlier when you tried to get VLAN working.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Router doesn't give fixed IP address
2023-12-27 02:02:53 - last edited 2024-01-05 02:28:01

Hi @hb100 
Thanks for posting in our business forum.
If you take a second, you should see this has been answered before.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/638926

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-27 08:56:57

@Clive_A thanks for the quick reply. This device is still getting IP address from "LAN" lan instead of "IoT" lan. These are the steps I followed:

1. Gave the IoT device fixed ip address within "IoT" network 192.168.4.16 

2. Checked the DHCP reservation list, and this IP is reserved for this device.

3. Power off the IoT device

4. Reboot the router (and while all AEP are powered via the router, the whole network is rebooted)

5. Waited 15 minutes

6. checked if the device is still in the reservation list is

7. Power on the IoT device

8. Result: The IoT device received ip address wihin the 'lan' vlan of 10.10.10.16

IoT device is IKEA TRÅDFRI Hub.

Options
2023-12-28 03:04:41

Hi @hb100 

hb100 wrote

@Clive_A thanks for the quick reply. This device is still getting IP address from "LAN" lan instead of "IoT" lan. These are the steps I followed:

1. Gave the IoT device fixed ip address within "IoT" network 192.168.4.16 

2. Checked the DHCP reservation list, and this IP is reserved for this device.

3. Power off the IoT device

4. Reboot the router (and while all AEP are powered via the router, the whole network is rebooted)

5. Waited 15 minutes

6. checked if the device is still in the reservation list is

7. Power on the IoT device

8. Result: The IoT device received ip address wihin the 'lan' vlan of 10.10.10.16

IoT device is IKEA TRÅDFRI Hub.

Try this:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/634790?replyId=1285230

Options
2023-12-28 08:37:48

@Clive_A same result :(

steps i followed:

1. remove DHCP reservation 

2. power off Ikea Hub (IoT device)

3. reboot router/ network

4. add DHCP reservation 

5. power on Ikea Hub

result:

As you can see, the DHCP reservation recognized the device, while I gave it the name "Ikea Hub" (during step 4 mentioned), but although I gave it an IP address within the IoT vlan network, it got an IP within the "LAN" network. Any suggestions?

Options
2024-01-02 09:15:45

Hi @hb100 

hb100 wrote

@Clive_A same result :(

steps i followed:

1. remove DHCP reservation 

2. power off Ikea Hub (IoT device)

3. reboot router/ network

4. add DHCP reservation 

5. power on Ikea Hub

result:

As you can see, the DHCP reservation recognized the device, while I gave it the name "Ikea Hub" (during step 4 mentioned), but although I gave it an IP address within the IoT vlan network, it got an IP within the "LAN" network. Any suggestions?

Is this resolved?

Use either a fixed IP or set up a DHCP reservation. Don't use both at the same time.

When the lease time is over, it will be assigned to the new IP address.

And, have you ruled out the possibility that you set a static IP on the IoT?

Options
2024-01-03 07:50:53

@Clive_A no it isn't resolved. In this case it isn't possible to reserve the ip in the IoT device itself. 

I notice that when you connect wired, the ports on the router are actually "unmanaged".  Via WiFi the firewall rules are followed, but wired they aren't. Could this be also the reason the reservation isn't working e.g. the ip from the main vlan "LAN" seems to be prioritised. 

Options
2024-01-03 08:43:00 - last edited 2024-01-03 08:52:03

Hi @hb100 

Very strange. I spent 5 minutes at the lab and repeated the DHCP reservation. So here's the firmware version.

My phone.

Set up DHCP reservation.

Reconnect the SSID and get the new IP.

Refresh the page. It's working and this place showed the correct IP.

My final suggestion to you would be to reboot the router. I don't know why it does not work on your IoT. But it could be your IoT issue.

I cannot upload the pictures so I pack them for you. Marked with numbers.

File:
Illustration.zipDownload
Options
2024-01-03 13:35:25

@Clive_A thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I noticed you tested a different scenario: you reserved the IP within the main/ same "LAN" as the router is operating in. That works also here.

Also I noticed you connected the "IoT" device via WiFi, which works also in my case (all IoT devices which are connected via WiFi have received IP from IoT vlan)

My use case is that this IoT-device is connected wired (via ethernet cable via the wall aep, which is connected to ER7212). This leads to the problem that it gets IP from the main "LAN" and not the reserved IP from the "IoT-vlan".

It seems that all devices which are connected wired only can get a IP address from the main LAN (or request themself an IP address from any of the defined Network/ DHCP setups. This while I noticed that my IP camera's had more or less the the same problem, but they can be given a static ip address via the GUI of the camera themselves), this is not possible for the Ikea HUB as far I can see/know. 

I have the feeling that the ports are unmanaged like a normal unmanaged switch (while connected wired via ethernet to the router, makes all networks accessible, despite the firewall rules). Could this be the reason the IP reservation is is not working as expected? 

Any suggestions? Only thing I can think of is to reset the router and see if this sort it out.

Thank you for your help so far, I really appreciated the effort and quick responds.

Options
2024-01-04 01:38:54

Hi @hb100 

hb100 wrote

I noticed you tested a different scenario: you reserved the IP within the main/ same "LAN" as the router is operating in. That works also here.

Also I noticed you connected the "IoT" device via WiFi, which works also in my case (all IoT devices which are connected via WiFi have received IP from IoT vlan)

My use case is that this IoT-device is connected wired (via ethernet cable via the wall aep, which is connected to ER7212). This leads to the problem that it gets IP from the main "LAN" and not the reserved IP from the "IoT-vlan".

It seems that all devices which are connected wired only can get a IP address from the main LAN (or request themself an IP address from any of the defined Network/ DHCP setups. This while I noticed that my IP camera's had more or less the the same problem, but they can be given a static ip address via the GUI of the camera themselves), this is not possible for the Ikea HUB as far I can see/know. 

I have the feeling that the ports are unmanaged like a normal unmanaged switch (while connected wired via ethernet to the router, makes all networks accessible, despite the firewall rules). Could this be the reason the IP reservation is is not working as expected? 

Any suggestions? Only thing I can think of is to reset the router and see if this sort it out.

Thank you for your help so far, I really appreciated the effort and quick responds.

The port does not need to be either managed or unmanaged to get the DHCP reservation working.

I don't see the relation between the port and the DHCP reservation.
So, in your case,

1. Wired to EAP.

2. DHCP reservation does not work.

You might wanna think if this is a problem with the EAP. But first, I gotta tell you that I may not find the same model in the lab as I am not on the test team.

I'll find a different EAP model with an extra port and will test it later today. We'll see.

Options
2024-01-04 01:54:36

Hi @hb100 

hb100 wrote

I don't get this reproduced either.

I set up DHCP reservation in the Services. Reconnect my PC and went to the page instantly. It stuck here.

Reopen the page to let it refresh. It does not reproduce.

Options