Sky Hub and Deco s7 Mesh set up

2023-12-31 12:35:53
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all.

Purchased the Deco S7 mesh set up last week.

I set this up two days ago at my children's (and their mother's) house - this means I can't test and check as often as I'd like but I'm fairly sure it's all working ok atm.

I set it up as follows:

SKY Hub connected via LAN cable to the first unit.  Second unit upstairs and a third in a converted garage (which would've been a dead spot without this - this is my daugthter's new room) - all via the straightforward app.

When I first set it up the devices were connecting to the first unit (even if said devices where directly next to the additional deco units (and from internet searches, this felt fairly common?).
However, I optimised via the app (which changed the visual set up on the app to less of a daisy change flow....if that makes sense!).
We had an issue whereby the Firestick on the TV in the upstairs room was stalling/slow (as was always the case) and I think this ie because it was connected to that first deco device next to the Sky router downstairs (see below but this may have been resolved - need to check when next round).

I then ran Ppotify on my phone (just to check downloads were occurring as I walked around the house and checked the spots) and noticed my device jumping onto the deco units the closest by.
Speed wise seems about right for their broadband set up (average 70mbs download/30mbs up).  

What I have noticed though is that if I go back round with my device (iPhone) I land on the old SKY network (and have to change via my phone settings).
Is there a way (or need - will this be detrimental to the mesh network?) to turn this off?  Presumably I'd have to go into the Sky management system?

I'm also unsure over Fast Roaming (it's off) and Access Point Mode - whether these are relevant to my set up (and switching to 5ghz only?)

Other than that, this was super easy to set up and if it's stable (and indeed flooding the house with wifi) then all is good!

Thanks!

Options
15 Reply
Re:Sky Hub and Deco s7 Mesh set up
2023-12-31 13:44:19

@somapop 

You should disable Sky router WiFi. Your home will be covered by WiFi from Deco mesh. 

If you can't figure how to disable Sky WiFi, at least configure Deco mesh with different SSID and force all devices forget Sky SSID.

Having both Sky router and Deco mesh with same SSID is the worst WiFi setup for your house. It is like having two standalone independent WiFi routers broadcasting same SSID: when device switches between them it'll briefly lose WiFi connection.

Fast Roaming and Beamforming must be on. These are responsible for smooth performance of WiFi mesh and for fast device roaming between WiFi nodes.

Because you have ISP router (Sky router), it is recommended to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode. This is optional, but try it. This will prevent "double NAT" issue on your home network (google it). You can always revert Deco mesh to default Router setting if you need to.

Switching to 5GHz makes sense, unless you have devices that only connect on 2.4GHz. Try having 5GHz only and if everything connects - just keep it that way. You iPhone and other devices will migrate faster to nearby Deco unit if Deco mesh runs on 5GHz only.

Options
2023-12-31 15:51:21

@Alexandre. 

Ahh - super helpful.

Think I can dial into the Sky management via an IP address.  I've no idea what log in credentials I'll have at hand (no one in the house will know this, but possible they can contact SKY for these).

With Fast Roaming I spotted a few bits online about potentially causing issues with some devices (and issues if some devices weren't 5ghz compatible?

I never really tweak with network stuff, so although tech savvy some of this is new to me.

The majority of devices are iPhones, iPads, Firesticks and a gaming PC.  This PC lags on some online games (but not the same games on a macbook) - I'd attached an extending antennae to this last year but muy daughter insists the internet (on some games) is v slow, evn though t's a fairly powerful PC so I'm a a loss over that - but this is a big off topic!

From the App I know fast roaming is off but Beamforming is on.  I'll switch when I'm over later and try and disable the Sky router. And change to 5 Ghz only.

All sound about right?

And thank you!!

Options
2023-12-31 16:09:22 - last edited 2023-12-31 16:23:01

@somapop 

Fast roaming should be disabled for troubleshooting only. If there is very old mobile device, think way before 5GHz and WiFi mesh, it might not understand fast roaming protocol. When instructed to roam, such device may get confused and instead will drop WiFi connection temporarily.

This is very rare case for a modern household, but switching Fast Roaming off is still used as a troubleshooting step just in case.

In conclusion: keep Fast Roaming on.

Everything you plan to do sounds about right. 

In regard to gaming PC. You can see in Deco app where this PC is connected to and if it has strong/fair/weak signal to Deco unit it is connected to, as well if this Deco unit has strong/fair/weak signal to Main Deco it is connected to.

Any time you see Weak signal it means problem.

Also, now that you have WiFi mesh with Satellites you can move around, you can bring Satellite Deco to where gaming PC is and connect them by Ethernet cable. See if that improves performance. Who knows, maybe PC has problematic WiFi adapter. Ethernet adapters usually do not cause issues.

------------

PS. Also, running Deco mesh in Access Point mode will improve Deco performance, which might become noticeable on gaming PC.

Options
2023-12-31 16:44:22

@Alexandre. 

Actually, that's a really good point re the PC and ethernet!!

The 3rd Deco unit of the three is in this converted garage at the side of the house - so kind of dedicated to that room.  Means (and I can't believe I'd not realised this!!) I can indeed connect that unit directly via a LAN cable!!

I'll report back how I get on with disabling the Sky router.  If I can log in then I'm sure it's quite straightforward.

If not, is it relatively easy to change the SSID as you mentioned in your first reply?

Options
2023-12-31 16:46:50 - last edited 2023-12-31 17:12:22

@somapop 

Changing SSID in Deco mesh is easy to do, you have access to that in Deco app. All you need is different SSIDs in Sky router and Deco mesh, so if you can't have access to Sky router - change SSID in Deco app, configure each device to forget Sky SSID and configure each device to connect to new Deco SSID. This will need to be done on every device at your household, but you are only doing it once.

Options
2023-12-31 17:02:19

@Alexandre. 
Ahh - perfect.
Makes sense.  
I should be over later to try all this.  Hopefully everything is sorted then.
Wondering if worth adding a network switch at some stage for them, but I suspect unnecessary.  There's only one PC in the house (plus a macbook which runs perfectly well on wifi).
But perhaps worth it for connecting their Smart TV's/Sky TV boxes.

Thanks!

Options
2023-12-31 20:17:13

@somapop 

ahh - another quickies if you're online!

I'm around my children's place now - managed to dial into the sky hub router management.

However there's message about the Sky Q tv 

Will removing the Sky router 'bigger' this all up of wil then Sky Tv services juts connect to the new mesh network?

Might be a question for the Sky forums as quite specific.

Options
2023-12-31 21:07:41

@somapop 

I have no idea about Sky TV service, but if you can connect Sky TV boxes to the Ethernet (meaning, they have Ethernet port) it would be safe to assume they can work over Ethernet and without WiFi from Sky router.

If Sky TV boxes can connect to Deco mesh WiFi, for Sky router they will appear as connecting over Ethernet (through Main Deco). As long as Sky router accepts Ethernet connection from Sky box, you should be fine. You might need to have Deco mesh in Access Point mode for that, but I am not sure.

You can attach gigabit switch to Deco, this is the right way to add more Ethernet ports to Deco unit. 

I have all my Smart TVs hardwired with Ethernet cables to either Main or Satellite Deco. I noticed that while on WiFi occasionally Smart TV will drop connection speed briefly. That makes Netflix overreact and it drops picture quality visibly. In a moment picture quality restores back to glorious 4K, but it is getting annoying really fast. If you notice such behavior of streaming apps on Smart TV - Ethernet wire it. I did, and that annoyance went away.

Options
2024-01-01 12:46:43

@Alexandre. 
Thanks!

I didn't want to mess with it last night as I was round with my son watching a film on Prime via the Sky Hub (think they'd be better off getting a firestick rather than using the apps within Sky tbh.

Wired Ethernet is an option but as it's not my house I don't want to start finding routes from the router (and connected DECO unit) to the TV.  Distance is only a few meters but would mean going around a fireplace etc.  I'll look into this though.

I couldn't see the DECO mesh network in the network options of the SKY Hub.  Felt that un-ticking all the Sky Router options (as mentioned above) would mean losing the wifi to the Sky Hub (and hence their streaming options).  
But I'll ask around on the Sky forums.

Thanks for all this advice btw - looks like everything is much more stable there now.  I have the Deco app on the phone and looks like I can check on reports from my own home!

Much appreciated. 

Options
2024-01-02 13:09:14

@somapop 
I've ordered a couple of ethernet cables (one for the PC and one for a TV upstairs so it can connect direct to the Deco unit below - may improve any potential drop outs streaming 4k TV - in saying that, this Deco mesh network has already vastly improved the TV streaming.  Previously my daughter ended up piggy backing via her phone data as it was so awful.

Didn't get a 100% solution for the Sky Q network question, but I feel it's just a case of me playing around with it when next there.

Cheers!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 812

Replies: 15

Related Articles