Sky Hub and Deco s7 Mesh set up

Sky Hub and Deco s7 Mesh set up

15 Reply
Re:Sky Hub and Deco s7 Mesh set up
2024-01-09 15:25:27

@somapop 

I haven't had the opportunity to turn off the Sky router (Via admin as discussed above yet).
Waiting for a moment when the house isn't full of people but I mess with that (and their potential evening TV viewing etc!).

However, over the weekend when I was over I managed to fix up my daughter's PC via ethernet to the Deco unit.  This has signficiantly increased the speed of he internet on her machine (metrics support that!!!....like Roblox pings!!).

However, I notied her PC is on the SKY router via the ethernet and I can't see the Deco Mesh network (it's on there as it's connected to the Deco unit and shows up as connected device on the app).

Will going ahead and turning the SKY router fix this?  Still a bit of debate on turning the sky router may affect rthe Sky Q box. I just need to go ahead and try it when I'm next over.

Thanks!

Options
2024-01-09 15:33:59

@somapop 

If you are concerned about implications of turning off Sky WiFi, you don't have to do it. As long as Sky WiFi has different SSID from Deco WiFi it should be OK. Just make sure that for devices that you do not want to connect to Sky router they don't have Sky SSID/password configured on them (and if they do, use Forget network on device to delete that).

The fact you see PC in Deco app and in Sky router is not a bug. PC is connected to Deco mesh (by Ethernet cable) - that means, Deco mesh will see it and you should see that PC connected to Satellite Deco. If you don't see PC in Deco app shown as connected over Ethernet, that would be a problem.

Sky router is responsible for network management when Deco mesh runs in Access Point mode. PC will get its IP address from Sky router. Because of that, you'll see PC in the list of devices connected to Sky router. 

Options
2024-01-09 19:03:42

@Alexandre. 
Ahh, thanks.  
I'll see what happens when I disable the Sky reouter as *sometimes devices jump onto that network (and yes - I could have them forget the network but there's a few of them in that house, such as phones).

But either way it doesn't sound like I have a problem now and the fasct this remote room (the converetd garage) is connected with a good signal is perfect news.

Btw - how's this PC actuallty connecting to the internet?  i.e. is any data being transmitted via the simple fact the Decos are plugged in (akin to powerline adapters) or merely having a boost via the LAN cable direcrtly into the Deco unit which is itself boosting the wifi signal from the original Deco? 

Realised this is something I simply don't know and was quite intrigued! 

Thanks!

Options
2024-01-10 00:44:12

somapop wrote

Btw - how's this PC actuallty connecting to the internet?  i.e. is any data being transmitted via the simple fact the Decos are plugged in (akin to powerline adapters) or merely having a boost via the LAN cable direcrtly into the Deco unit which is itself boosting the wifi signal from the original Deco? 

@somapop 

This is how your PC connects to the Internet:

1. PC connects to Satellite Deco with Ethernet cable;

2. Satellite Deco connects to Main Deco over WiFi;

3. Main Deco connects to ISP router over Ethernet cable;

4. ISP Router has wired link (coax, fibre, etc.) to Internet.

TP-Link has substantial experience with networking, so one could expect the best speeds possible between Satellite and Main Deco over WiFi.

When you connect PC over Ethernet to Satellite Deco, you bypass potentially troubled PC WiFi adapter. Also, due to specifics of WiFi technology, connecting PC by Ethernet to Deco could double data transmission speed comparing to PC connected to Satellite over WiFi. This is true not just for Deco mesh, but for any brand of WiFi mesh.

You can also keep that in mind as a troubleshooting technique.

If you have device such as PC, laptop, Smart TV that connects to Deco mesh by WiFi but has an Ethernet port, and you are not happy with the quality of their WiFi connection, bring Satellite Deco to that device and connect them by Ethernet cable. If connection improves in speed and/or stability, you'll know the issue is with WiFi module on that device.

Options
2024-01-10 09:42:28

@Alexandre. 
Brilliant - super informative post.

The PC connected directly to the satellite Deco was noticeably (and demonstrably) quicker.  I'll see if I can can connect further devices via LAN if appropriate.

Thank you!

Options
Related Articles