VPN between two ER605

VPN between two ER605
VPN between two ER605
2024-01-03 12:11:05 - last edited 2024-01-04 03:04:16
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi everybody,

I have created a IPSEC VPN between my home (192.168.2.1) and office (192.168.1.1)  with two er605 routers. After the vpn routers i have on the one site archer c7 and on the other site some asus wifi router.

I have set it in a way so i can access my SYNOLOGY NAS at home. from the office computers i am accessing the NAS by directly inputting the ip of the nas (192.16.2.2) and i am authenticating with loccal synology username and password.

Lately i noticed that after some time of not accessing the nas when i try to access it takes quite some time (mayne 20-30 sec) to go through and list the content of the folders i am using. Once the first delay goes through after this it works perfect. By decribing the problem like this can you help me to resolve the issue?

Thanks,

George

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN between two ER605-Solution
2024-01-04 03:04:10 - last edited 2024-01-04 03:04:16

Hi @GeorgeG 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

GeorgeG wrote

Lately i noticed that after some time of not accessing the nas when i try to access it takes quite some time (mayne 20-30 sec) to go through and list the content of the folders i am using. Once the first delay goes through after this it works perfect. By decribing the problem like this can you help me to resolve the issue?

Thanks,

George

You should consider the cache time on your device which re-cache the folder lists.

This is not a problem with the router at all. There is no resolution from the router end.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:VPN between two ER605-Solution
2024-01-04 03:04:10 - last edited 2024-01-04 03:04:16

Hi @GeorgeG 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

GeorgeG wrote

Thanks,

George

You should consider the cache time on your device which re-cache the folder lists.

This is not a problem with the router at all. There is no resolution from the router end.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:VPN between two ER605
2024-01-04 10:10:49

Thank you for the reply. I am writing here because the NAS does not behave like this when accesses from the home network - 192.168.2.X ....

When the laptop is connected there is no delay in opening any of the shared folders and thats why i write here.

Also the vpn speed between the two sites is quite good, once connected i usually get between 50 and 100 mbits

Options
2024-01-04 10:52:24

Maybe something from the windows authentication in the NAS? Or something different?

Options
2024-01-04 13:34:07

SMB is a notoriously inefficient protocol for file sharing, I think what you are seeing is just the increased latency over the VPN tunnel multiplied by the 100's of requests needed to populate the folder with the file info.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-04 13:55:06

@GeorgeG 

Also the vpn speed between the two sites is quite good, once connected i usually get between 50 and 100 mbits

and thereby is the problem, your local network is likely gigabit and so is 10 to 20 times faster than the VPN.

As d0ugmac1 says, SMB is inefficient so with a 20x slower link its not surpising there's a delay.

Options
2024-01-04 18:05:41

I think we need to understand how many files and folders are recursively located  in the directory he's trying to list.

We also need to know if the application he's using is trying to build thumbnails of each media file.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 327

Replies: 6

Related Articles