Trying to create WLAN from a single EAP

2024-01-03 15:05:20 - last edited 2024-01-03 16:19:23
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Hello, I have 4 EAP's and I was looking to bind some clients to a single one for certain reasons.  My only solution was to try and create a WLAN from that single EAP, however since all the EAP's are in Mesh, I don't have that option.   Anyone have a creative solution? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Trying to create WLAN from a single EAP-Solution
2024-01-03 16:19:19 - last edited 2024-01-03 16:19:23

@d0ugmac1 Thanks!   I found a solution. I can create the new WLAN and then go into the other 3 EAP's and manually disable them.  It isn't future proof, but I don't expect this site to change rapidly.   Now i have my clients "pinned" to a single EAP.  

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Trying to create WLAN from a single EAP
2024-01-03 15:31:26

@Slapp39 

Actually you do, but will likely require the addition of at least an Omada controlled gateway (router).  You create 2 subnets on the router, and assign 1 subnet to the General SSID, and assign the second subnet to the Limited SSID.  Both SSID will be part of the same WLAN Profile which is applied to all APs.  Users can then attach to whatever SSID is appropriate and will be issued an appropriate IP.  If isolation is desired, you can do things like make the Limited SSID a 'guest' network which prevents those clients from talking to any other local device, or you can apply gateway ACLs to prevent the two subnets from talking to each other.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Trying to create WLAN from a single EAP-Solution
2024-01-03 16:19:19 - last edited 2024-01-03 16:19:23

@d0ugmac1 Thanks!   I found a solution. I can create the new WLAN and then go into the other 3 EAP's and manually disable them.  It isn't future proof, but I don't expect this site to change rapidly.   Now i have my clients "pinned" to a single EAP.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-03 16:24:11

@Slapp39 I also see that the latest Controller Update lets me "Lock to AP".  I will also try this and see how it works.  

Options
2024-01-03 16:56:41

@Slapp39 

There is a third way, which is to create 2 WLAN profiles, one of which has your 'special' SSID, and only assign that profile to the one AP, the other 3 AP's get the single SSID version.

Glad you got things sorted...and what you have is more robust than the 'fix client to AP' feature.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options