Moved House - Connection is Temperamental

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-04 17:09:28
Model: Deco M5   Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I have recently moved house where I took my Sky Router & Deco Mesh with me.  It was a simple plug & play however, I am noticing intermittant issues where the WiFi connection suddently drops.  There is no pattern with this, but it either happens in a short space of time (several continuous drops) or we can go several hours without it happening - but it does happen at least 2 to 6 times a day

I currently have the following setup: 

Sky Router is in Modem mode connected to a M5 Deco

I then have a further 2 M5 Decos and 2 M4's

I am wondering what I should do to fix this problem, that is if it isn't the fibre that keeps dropping (assuming it isn't as it is a new connection).  Should I wipe my Decos and start the process again as a new setup or is there a way to fix this without doing that?  We've also noticed that sometimes when the connection drops that we are also booted off the WiFi on our iPhones (red light on the Deco M5's)

WiFi Settings: 2.5 GHz & 5 GHz network

IoT Network: Off

Operation Mode: Access Point

Smart DHCP: Enabled

Fast Roaming: Disabled

Beamforming: Enabled

Deco M5 Firmware Version 1.7.3 Build

Deco M4r Firmware Version 1.5.0 Build

Broadband provider: Sky Broadband via BT Fibre Optic

Options
5 Reply
Re:Moved House - Connection is Temperamental
2024-01-04 22:07:02

@AdvLuke 

To run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, you must be running Sky Router in its default gateway/router mode. Which means, all Ethernet ports of Sky Router should be active.

We can use that.

The first suspect is always Internet (fiber) link. If you have Windows PC (desktop/laptop) you can hardwire directly to one of Sky Ethernet ports I can give you simple script that will run non-stop and ping well known Internet site. Script will only record when ping fails, which means day or night you'll see if/when Internet link went down.

I used this script to troubleshoot issues I had with my cable Internet: intermittent brief outages that were quite hard to track. After I established it were problematic link to Internet, the rest was easy.

I wrote that script for Windows, because this is what I have. 

Options
2024-01-04 22:24:41

@Alexandre. I beleieve my Sky Router is in Modem mode, with the Deco's in Access Point (acting as the "Router") with the Sky Router WiFi broadcasting disabled

Options
2024-01-04 22:32:02

@AdvLuke 

TP-Link uses the following terminology for Deco Operation Mode:

1. Router - default mode, Main Deco can be connected to either ISP modem or gateway/router;

2. Access Point - Main Deco must be connected to ISP gateway/router.

What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Using consistent terminology would simplify troubleshooting. 

If you run Sky router in modem mode, there is no simple way to check Internet link, unless you want to disconnect all your household from the Internet. My recommendation would be to switch Sky router to its default gateway/router mode and then you can use free Ethernet port on Sky Router to run health tests for Internet link, without disturbing household Internet access.

Options
2024-01-04 22:47:10

@Alexandre. Thanks again for your reply

I can't reference where I have this information, as it was 2 years ago now when I set it up however, I do recall that Sky Broadband does not like users using Mesh (or any 3rd party router system) so putting it into modem mode was the only way forward 

Although I am happy to revisit this based on your information & will look into it further! 

Do you know of any solid websites / posts with advice on setting up Mesh WiFi with Sky Broadband ISP settings etc?

Options
2024-01-05 00:32:38

@AdvLuke 

Not sure why that would be: for ISP router Main Deco should appear as just another client, such as PC. 

No special changes should be necessary if Main Deco configured with getting dynamic IP address.

Just configure Sky as router and if Main Deco can't work, undo it and make Sky run as modem again. 

Options