LOCAL DNS SERVER: NO ACCESS FROM MY GUEST WIFI

2024-01-06 01:26:18
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm facing up a situation here, few days ago i've deployed a local dns server in my local network, everything working fine.. 

Well, today i've "discovered" that devices connected thru my guest wifi can't access to my local dns server ip and therefore they can't get internet connection

The guest wifi, must stay isolated from my local devices, mostly for security, and also because i don't want that my guests have access to my local cast devices (Android Tv, Chromecast, etc)

How could this problem be solved?? any trick or hidden feature? Could TP-LINK give some help about this in some future firmware update? 

Thanks.-  

Options
6 Reply
Re:LOCAL DNS SERVER: NO ACCESS FROM MY GUEST WIFI
2024-01-06 12:29:07

@GeorKhawam 

Check in guest that devices can talk to the main network this could be a AP isolation setting or simply say allow guests to talk to each other or access the main network.

Options
2024-01-06 17:02:48

@Bogle 

The problem is, if a permit guest access to rest of my internal devices, they'll have access to my casting devices,to not mention that for security it have to remain isolated.

If i allow access guest to my private internal network devices, what sense would have to have a Guest Wifi???  

Options
2024-01-07 10:45:33 - last edited 2024-01-07 10:47:50

@GeorKhawam 

That's correct, there is only one way round it that I can see easily & that's to allow access & I would test that just to make sure that is what is doing it first, I get why you don't want to use this way all the time btw.

As for a work around perhaps if you assign all guest devices a reserved ip on the router may let them on again.

Are they appearing in the dhcp list ok? if they are maybe switching to access mode on the router will help, I mean access mode not access point just to clarify, this means you'll have to give permission for any device to connect & any new ones will need to be added before they'll connect in future, whitelist in access settings is the section you need.

One thing I just thought of, if you let them on your main network you can still stop them interacting with other devices by having the ap isolation box checked in advanced wifi settings for the main network.

Options
2024-01-07 15:10:08

Bogle wrote

@GeorKhawam 

As for a work around perhaps if you assign all guest devices a reserved ip on the router may let them on again.

The ip isn't the problem, the devices really can connect to the wifi (*connected,no internet*), but can't get internet access because the dns ip is a local server  which they cannot connect unless i permit "access guests to your local network" (that's not what i want). What i think is there should be a kind of exception like  block access to my entire local network, except to device(s) ip: __.__.__.__

Are they appearing in the dhcp list ok? if they are maybe switching to access mode on the router will help, I mean access mode not access point just to clarify, this means you'll have to give permission for any device to connect & any new ones will need to be added before they'll connect in future, whitelist in access settings is the section you need.

Yes, devices gets ip correctly.. Whitelist is another matter that not solves the issue.  In fact i tried to DMZ the server ip only just by chance, but not worked..

One thing I just thought of, if you let them on your main network you can still stop them interacting with other devices by having the ap isolation box checked in advanced wifi settings for the main network.

ap isolation what does is isolate the wireless devices between themselves  

@Bogle 

Options
2024-02-06 00:35:01

Please, any solution to allow guest wifi devices access to a specific device inside host network???   for example in this case, my pi-hole dns server.. 

Options
2024-03-24 11:06:05

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. Just bought an Archer AX72 (v1.0 with latest firmware) and have a local pi-hole server configured as DHCP DNS. As devices on the guest network cannot access other LAN devices they can't resolve DNS queries. This seems like a major flaw in the design.

As previously mentioned, if there was an option to allow guests to access a specific device/IP on the LAN everything would work. Alternatively if there was a way to point guests to a different DNS server, e.g. WAN DNS...

If there is no solution soon I will have to return the router. It's a shame because other than this issue it is perfect for my needs.

Thanks!

Options