ER605 V1 Firmware

ER605 V1 Firmware
ER605 V1 Firmware
2024-01-09 15:31:24
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hi,

I'm wondering if the ER605 V1 will be adapted to omada controllers past version 5.8? I see that the ER605 v2.6 is adapted to controller version 5.11.

Thanks,

Lloyd

Options
3 Reply
Re:ER605 V1 Firmware
2024-01-09 22:58:06

@warllo 

I doubt it will ever be.  The ER605v1 will never have Wireguard or Terminal or IDS, at best we can hope for some security patches now that the platform is EOL.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-10 19:42:11

I am very disappointed, too. I bought this item and some few weeks later it got replaced on the market by the v2. I had the same situation on some TP-Link switches as well. They get fast replaced by newer models and won't get any further features and only rare updates then.

That does not feel like SOHO-devices, but more like cheap Android-phones some years ago.

TP-Link should consider, if they want to be a premium company for network devices or just producing stuff that shouldn't last longer than 1 year.

Options
2024-01-10 19:52:49

@warllo 

The ER605v1 never should have been productized as an Omada Enterprise device, it was woefully underpowered from the start, constrained by weak CPU and limited Memory (especially the FLASH, the 16MB didn't have room to include the code to support Wireguard etc.).  The ER605v2 is actually a reasonable small branch/soho device now.

As for LTS (long term support) devices, those come with a price which is NOT TPlink's demographic.  Keep in mind that even Cisco mothballs it's devices on a regular basis.

The truth is TPlink gateways, their term, not mine, are really just that, they simply don't have the necessary packet processing hardware to offload routine router functions (like DPI) and therefore everything must be done by CPU, which are typically low-end ARM cores, with severe throughput penalties as a result.  However, for the average prosumer/soho type deployment you can get some pretty 'big boy' features without the big boy prices.  It's all about getting what you pay for, and for most of what I do, it's enough.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options