VPN issue on Android client

2024-01-28 17:57:12 - last edited 2024-01-29 06:12:21
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER706W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20240106 Rel.81532(4555)

Hi guys! 

I'm new here, I'm glad I could join the community and start to work with TP-Link Omada hardware.

Unfortunately, I've reached a point where I'm out of ideas, maybe you could help...

Equipment:

Router: ER706W

Controller: OC200

Devices: Smartphone with Android 12, Iphone, Computer with Windows 10

Used solution:

SSL VPN server, OpenVPN server

The problem:

I can't access Internet nor local network from Android phone after I connect to VPN server. Can't even ping, doesn't matter if it's domain name or IP address, no matter if it's local or global one. Nothing works. Same situation on cellular as well as external WiFi connection. - So, I can succesfully connect to VPN server, the connection is visible on status page, but nothing works on phone:

At the same time, I can normally connect (using the same User and VPN profile - config file) on Iphone or Windows 10 with full access to local network as well as Internet access.

A little bit of backgroud:

When I started my work on that two weeks ago, I was able to successfully connect and utilize VPN from any device, even that Android phone, accessing both - Internet and Local resourcer, in both modes (full and split).

Then I decided to add OC200 Controller - after that the controller overrided my router configuration with clean config, co I have redone my config but under OC200 now, and then the problem started. I was no longer able to work on VPN via Android device.

I've decided to revert the changes, so I forgot the router from Controller (which do factory reset), I've restored my previous (router only) configuration from backup file aaaaaand... nothing. It didn't want to work anymore, even tho it used to work previously.

So after that I've decided to do factory reset again and do the configuration again but manually, step by step... And it still doesn't work. I can't force it to work now at any cost.

Some details:

Router restart/factory reset: done

ACLs: none

Double NAT: yes - but ports on ISP router have been forwarded

SLL VPN config file: How should I share it with you?

Android client logs: How should I share it with you?

Used app to connect: Official OpenVPN all on all devices (Android, iOS, Windows)

Can you help, please?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN issue on Android client-Solution
2024-01-28 19:00:50 - last edited 2024-01-29 06:12:21

Found the culprit! It's newest OpenVPN mobile app's update on Android (3.4.0)!

After installing previous version (3.3.4) from old APK file, the connection works perfect.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:VPN issue on Android client
2024-01-28 17:58:04

Config File:

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote XXXXXX 11940
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher AES-256-CBC
data-ciphers AES-256-CBC
comp-lzo no
allow-compression no
auth-nocache
verb 3
mute 20
auth-user-pass
remote-cert-tls server
reneg-sec 0
explicit-exit-notify
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
XXX
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>

Options
Re:VPN issue on Android client-Solution
2024-01-28 19:00:50 - last edited 2024-01-29 06:12:21

Found the culprit! It's newest OpenVPN mobile app's update on Android (3.4.0)!

After installing previous version (3.3.4) from old APK file, the connection works perfect.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:VPN issue on Android client
2024-01-29 06:14:38

Hi @RaRu 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Due to the OVPN official new update on Android, by the time I posted this, iOS and Windows did not seem to be affected.

This seems to be the root cause. We are still working on a solution/workaround and will update you or anyone who's following this soon.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 375

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles