660HD Firmware 1.2.10, units going offline randomly until rebooted.

660HD Firmware 1.2.10, units going offline randomly until rebooted.

19 Reply
Re:660HD Firmware 1.2.10, units going offline randomly until rebooted.
2024-04-05 05:18:27

@Napsterbater 

My 660HD APs work fine with the v1.2.7 Build 20231214 Rel. 34160. I haven't tried any higher version.

Kris K
Options
2024-04-07 18:37:41

@Napsterbater 

Hi all

I've just got a call from one of my clients. One EAP 660HD firmware version 1.2.10 connected to a ER7212PC, the AP just stopped working, the network SSID was not visible and no errors on the logs. All clients suddenly dropped.

It took a AP restart to make it working again. It's the first issue I've seen in the 15 days it's been online. I'm worried because it's a VR installation in a remote location with about 50 clients, 10 hours straight every day.

Cannot help with logs because there is nothing on the log or event viewer that might indicate anything.

Options
2024-04-07 18:50:51

@digitalFounders 

Hopefully that ER7212PC allows you to power cycle the port that the AP is connected to. 

Unfortunately, if your situation's like mine, the only option I had to solve it permanently was to revert the unit all the way back to 1.1.1, support was absolutely useless.

I may try again if and when the next firmware comes out but it took TP link almost two years to release these broken firmwares, So I'm not holding my breath.

Options
2024-04-09 03:24:31

digitalFounders wrote

@Napsterbater 

Hi all

I've just got a call from one of my clients. One EAP 660HD firmware version 1.2.10 connected to a ER7212PC, the AP just stopped working, the network SSID was not visible and no errors on the logs. All clients suddenly dropped.

It took a AP restart to make it working again. It's the first issue I've seen in the 15 days it's been online. I'm worried because it's a VR installation in a remote location with about 50 clients, 10 hours straight every day.

Cannot help with logs because there is nothing on the log or event viewer that might indicate anything.

Hi @digitalFounders 

If the SSID was invisible, may I confirm whether the EAP was still powered on? We may need to confirm the hardware connection first.

Meanwhile what was the status on the EAP when you found them drop?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-04-09 03:26:29

Napsterbater wrote

BTW, for anyone who finds this.

Support was useless.

No resolution, reverted the units to 1.1.1 and left them.

1.2.9 and 1.2.10 is useless.

Hi @Napsterbater 

Sorry for that. I have informed the support team to investigate again. May I seek your kindly assistance to reply the email with the required information? Your patience is really appreciated.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-04-09 03:38:13

Hank21 wroteH

Hi @digitalFounders 

If the SSID was invisible, may I confirm whether the EAP was still powered on? We may need to confirm the hardware connection first.

Meanwhile what was the status on the EAP when you found them drop?

If it's the same as in my case, the APs are still powered still show a power light. They're just completely absolutely frozen and locked up. 

It no longer broadcast an SSID, generates absolutely zero packets at all once it's locked up. This can be confirmed by any Smart Switch showing a pack of counter that has been reset once it's locked up or using a span port and monitoring the traffic. 

It's a kenji your PC being so locked up that it doesn't respond to your keyboard, your keyboard  or mouse or control alt delete or anything.

Options
2024-04-09 09:18:01 - last edited 2024-04-09 09:24:17

Hi  @Hank21 

Yes, the EAP was powered on all the time. In detail, this is what I found out. All times UTC+1.

The EAP was installed about 15 days ago and has been working every day since. About 50 VR headsets connect to the WiFi for about 12 straight hours every day. We choose a EAP660 HD, as it has more CPU, RAM and antennas to handle high density scenarios, and this is the configuration that we also have running on 10 other installations with no issue.

On Sunday, at around 19:00h, the client calls saying that the VR headsets do not connect. The client previously performed a unit reboot (the ER7212PC) some minutes before but the headsets could not see the SSID. When the controller became online, I entered and checked that the AP was turned on for 8 hours (more on this later), I performed a power cycle on the AP and when back online, the headsets could see the SSID and connected normally.

One issue I saw was that the AP said that it had been online for 8 hours, which did not make sense because 19:00-8:00 = 11:00h, and the installation starts at 10:00h. So I was looking in the graphs and found out that at 11:10h, the AP went offline for a slight moment (about 5 minutes) and the wireless traffic dropped during that time. Later at about 17-17:30h all wireless traffic dropped. There was the hard reboot of the router, which seems strange because the AP was still powered on all time (so the 8 hours uptime) and nothing was solved until the AP power cycle.

We'll be following this issue because it might indicate a defective unit. We have installed a lot of them and work with no issues. The firmware of the ER7212PC is 5.8.36 and the AP firmware is 1.2.10.

Meanwhile, is there a way to get more verbose logs of what might have happened? I've checked all event logs and found some entries of constant IP changes on the AP (sorry about the screenshot, the one I have is very wide and I had to make it smaller).

Thanks!

Options
3 weeks ago

digitalFounders wrote

Hi  @Hank21 

Yes, the EAP was powered on all the time. In detail, this is what I found out. All times UTC+1.

The EAP was installed about 15 days ago and has been working every day since. About 50 VR headsets connect to the WiFi for about 12 straight hours every day. We choose a EAP660 HD, as it has more CPU, RAM and antennas to handle high density scenarios, and this is the configuration that we also have running on 10 other installations with no issue.

On Sunday, at around 19:00h, the client calls saying that the VR headsets do not connect. The client previously performed a unit reboot (the ER7212PC) some minutes before but the headsets could not see the SSID. When the controller became online, I entered and checked that the AP was turned on for 8 hours (more on this later), I performed a power cycle on the AP and when back online, the headsets could see the SSID and connected normally.

One issue I saw was that the AP said that it had been online for 8 hours, which did not make sense because 19:00-8:00 = 11:00h, and the installation starts at 10:00h. So I was looking in the graphs and found out that at 11:10h, the AP went offline for a slight moment (about 5 minutes) and the wireless traffic dropped during that time. Later at about 17-17:30h all wireless traffic dropped. There was the hard reboot of the router, which seems strange because the AP was still powered on all time (so the 8 hours uptime) and nothing was solved until the AP power cycle.

We'll be following this issue because it might indicate a defective unit. We have installed a lot of them and work with no issues. The firmware of the ER7212PC is 5.8.36 and the AP firmware is 1.2.10.

Meanwhile, is there a way to get more verbose logs of what might have happened? I've checked all event logs and found some entries of constant IP changes on the AP (sorry about the screenshot, the one I have is very wide and I had to make it smaller).

Thanks!

Hi @digitalFounders 

May I confirm whether the same issue occurred recently? If the LAN IP of EAP changed, could you please set up a fixed IP for the EAP? 

If rather, please help to confirm the LED light stauts on both the EAP and ER7212PC, and confirm the port transmitted statistic on the relevant port under statistic page.

Options
Re:660HD Firmware 1.2.10, units going offline randomly until rebooted.-Solution
a week ago - last edited 14 hours ago

For anyone who finds this, It seems 1.2.11 may have fixed the issue, My APs made it 5days, but then there was a power outage.

I am now Beta testing 1.3.0, ill see if I have any issues with it.

Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles