XE200 Issues: Slow upload, Wired LAN speed

2024-02-03 00:45:22 - last edited 2024-02-05 01:32:12
Model: Deco XE200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have installed 2 XE200 units with wired backhaul, and wireless performance with both units is pretty good.  I'm on a 1000Mbps connection with my ISP, and I'm getting close to maximum speed (~930Mbps) for downloads.

However, I am have 2 strange issues:

* Connecting the 10Gbps port on one unit to the 1Gbps port on the other renders the network speed 100/100

The workaround for this is to make sure I'm connecting the 10Gbps to the 10Gbps or the 1Gpbs to the 1Gpbs.

When I do that, I get the full 1Gbps again.

Is this by design, or is this a bug in the firmware?  I thought they were all "auto-sensing" ports?

* My upload speed is only reaching 50% (20Gbps) of the maximum (40Mbps)

Using another brand of router on the same network, I am able to reach close to the maximum speed (37Mbps) on upload.  It seems strange that I'm getting such slow performance on upload on the XE200s?  Strangely, it initially reaches much closer (say 35Mbps), but then ramps down to aroun half that (18-20Mbps).  Download seems pretty good, so not a fundamental connectivity issue.  And again, using another brand on exactly the same ISP and network I get the full upload speed - so clearly something to do with the XE200 itself.  Same performance on both the router and the satellite. 

Could I please have some assistance and/or trouble-shooting advice from the TPLink community and/or team to help resolve / clarify these issues?

I am on the latest release of firmware (not beta) on V1 Hardware.

Thanks,

Matt

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:XE200 Issues: Slow upload, Wired LAN speed-Solution
2024-02-05 01:32:08 - last edited 2024-02-05 01:32:12

@David-TP Happy news - I figured it out.

Turns out I had incorrectly set the QoS to 20 on the upload, and the XE200 was doing its job to throttle the upload! :D

I've switched it to 50Mbps, and it is now behaving as expected.

Silly me.

Thanks for the help anyways.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:XE200 Issues: Slow upload, Wired LAN speed
2024-02-04 10:07:52

@MattPorter 

Hi, May I know who is your internet service provider?

How about the internet connection type on the XE200, dynamic IP, or PPPOE?

Before the main XE200, is there a ISP modem router/ONT/NBN box  instated? Can I have the model number?

As for the post-speed issue,  are you able to constantly reproduce this issue?

It is surely not by design and I haven't received similar feedback before.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-02-04 11:56:10 - last edited 2024-02-04 12:51:18

@David-TP Thank you for your reply.

The service provider is Aussie Broadband.  We are using Dynamic IP connection type, as per the ISP preference.

There is no other ISP provided device connected, other than the NBN NTD - a standard connection box for HFC connection.  An Arris CM8200 - I can't recall which.

I did reach out to the ISP, however they told me there is no setting they can have on their end.  I also tried a full Port reset without success.  Again, using an alternative router (another brand) connected to the SAME NTD, the upload speed was reliably above 40Mbps - sometimes up to 47Mbps.

The post-speed issue seems to have resolved itself after several reboots and switching the main XE200.  I think perhaps the config was a little confused and resetting it to another unit seems to have resolved it (fingers crossed).

Appreciate your assistance.

Options
2024-02-04 13:03:02

@David-TP I have spoken with the ISP and they have confirmed there is nothing strange on their side or with the link itself. 

Given I can reproduce faster speeds with alternative hardware, it does indeed seem to be an issue with the XE200 firmware or possibly hardware.

Again, the speed test initially reaches closer to 40Mbps, but quickly runs down to half of that. If I had to guess, I would say the router is somehow only using one half of the duplex during upload. Download is fine (900+ on a 1000 connection). 

Grateful if you could ask your engineers to look into it. Thanks. 

Options
Re:XE200 Issues: Slow upload, Wired LAN speed-Solution
2024-02-05 01:32:08 - last edited 2024-02-05 01:32:12

@David-TP Happy news - I figured it out.

Turns out I had incorrectly set the QoS to 20 on the upload, and the XE200 was doing its job to throttle the upload! :D

I've switched it to 50Mbps, and it is now behaving as expected.

Silly me.

Thanks for the help anyways.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 196

Replies: 4

Related Articles