Yet another T3U Plus using usb 2 thread

2024-02-08 22:46:35
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello

Like many others, I have a problem with my T3U Plus only using usb2, and therefore, not being able to connect to 5ghz networks.

I did many tests but the most important ones are:

1. T3U Plus connecting to my wireless router -> only connects to 2.4ghz network, device manager says that device could run faster if connected to usb3

2. tried a number of usb3 ports and other usb3 devices work fine

3. T3U Plus connecting to iPhone hotspot -> again, only 2.4ghz

I also have a gaming laptop and it can connect to both my router and iPhone hotspot on 5ghz, no problem there.

So in short, it must be the device and most likely, a faulty design.

Not to mention, I tried all possible drivers, from this forum (the beta one) and from realtek directly for the RTL8812BU chipset

What really bothers me is that tp-link is still selling it advertising it as usb3 5ghz capable device where no one seems to be able to use it this way.

I didnt find a single thread on this forum or any other with a definitive, working solution.

Can someone explain me what is going on ?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Yet another T3U Plus using usb 2 thread
2024-02-10 15:09:27

@AstroNut 

Hi,

Actually, these are two separate issues that are not related to each other.

If your particular T3U Plus is designed for use in Europe (check if the label on the T3U+ has the letters "EU" on it), then it does not support the 5 GHz band U-NII-3 that comprises channels 149 to 165. 

However, Wi-Fi hotspots of smartphones do usually broadcast on exactly those channels.

As you've mentioned, there is no solution to this problem other than getting another Wi-Fi dongle that supports this particular 5 GHz band (like a T3U Plus labeled with the letters "US") or getting another smartphone that broadcasts its hotspot on a 5 GHz band that the T3U Plus "EU" can work with.

The problem of USB Wi-Fi adapters using certain Realtek chips not switching to USB 3 mode is another matter.

Options
2024-02-11 23:00:37

@AstroNut 

I don't have the original packaging and the tiny text on the metal part of the usb plug doesnt have either EU or US on it.

I did a test - I connected it to a Linux VM on VMware workstation Pro - and it connected on the 5ghz band - Channel 149, but it is recognised as usb2 device.

Options
2024-02-12 23:24:27

@AstroNut 

Ok, then theoretically your T3U Plus should also be able see that hotspot under Windows.

By the way, you also mentioned a router. Does the router also utilize channel 149? If yes, then can you configure the 5 GHz network of the router to use channel 36 instead and then check again if the T3U is able to see it?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 193

Replies: 3

Related Articles