Omada controller does NOT actually turn the radios off !!!

2024-02-11 03:49:19
Tags: #Radio
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.0 Build 20220926 Rel. 62456

I am measuring the emission power of the antennas at a distance of 50cm with an RF meter.

When I plug in, the EAP takes about 15 seconds to boot and then starts emitting rapid pulses at a level of about 1 V/m (I want to say 4 to 6 pulses per second but could be more).

Using Omada Controller, I can then turn on the radio and select different Tx Power levels. The higher I chose, the more V/m the antennas blast out (this part works as expected).

Now, I turn off the radios (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) but the EAP continues to emit pulses at a level around 1 V/m.

It is only when I physically unplug the Ethernet (PoE) cable, that the pulses stop.

Note: If I unscrew the antennas and plug the PoE back in, I still get get pulses but at a much much lower level (almost lost in my background RF noise). This further confirms that the pulses I measure with radios off come out of the EAP225 antennas (and not some other device in the vicinity).

So:

1) I am disappointed that the Omada Controller and product documentation straight out lie to my face. The radio OFF, is NOT a radio OFF ! :((

2) Can TP-Link fix this with a firmware update?

3) What's the point of radio off if it does not actually stop emissions?

4) Can I mitigate this by using smaller antennas but a higher Tx Power setting? (Hoping that in this case, "off" will emit less with smaller antennas). What kind of antennas should I buy? (I don't know what to look for, all wifi antennas on amazon or aliexpress seems to want to advertise "signal boost" which is the opposite of what I would want).

5) On a related note: why is it impossible to set a custom Tx Level below 6 dBm? This seems like a completely arbitrary limitation.

Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Omada controller does NOT actually turn the radios off !!!
2024-02-11 05:05:30

@Lempiz Turn the POE off to the AP via a schedule. Omada switches support this and many non Omada/TP-Link switches support this. If not powering via switch such as with an injector, use a timer outlet or smart plug (note it will need to be one that can keep time/schedule without active WiFi connection since you are turning your WiFi off)

Of course I have to ask, why does it actually matter?

Options
2024-02-11 12:59:42

@Lempiz I have seen zero reasons for this.

Lempiz wrote

I am measuring the emission power of the antennas at a distance of 50cm with an RF meter.

When I plug in, the EAP takes about 15 seconds to boot and then starts emitting rapid pulses at a level of about 1 V/m (I want to say 4 to 6 pulses per second but could be more).

Using Omada Controller, I can then turn on the radio and select different Tx Power levels. The higher I chose, the more V/m the antennas blast out (this part works as expected).

Now, I turn off the radios (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) but the EAP continues to emit pulses at a level around 1 V/m.

It is only when I physically unplug the Ethernet (PoE) cable, that the pulses stop.

Note: If I unscrew the antennas and plug the PoE back in, I still get get pulses but at a much much lower level (almost lost in my background RF noise). This further confirms that the pulses I measure with radios off come out of the EAP225 antennas (and not some other device in the vicinity).

So:

1) I am disappointed that the Omada Controller and product documentation straight out lie to my face. The radio OFF, is NOT a radio OFF ! :((

2) Can TP-Link fix this with a firmware update?

3) What's the point of radio off if it does not actually stop emissions?

4) Can I mitigate this by using smaller antennas but a higher Tx Power setting? (Hoping that in this case, "off" will emit less with smaller antennas). What kind of antennas should I buy? (I don't know what to look for, all wifi antennas on amazon or aliexpress seems to want to advertise "signal boost" which is the opposite of what I would want).

5) On a related note: why is it impossible to set a custom Tx Level below 6 dBm? This seems like a completely arbitrary limitation.

Thanks

1. Electric emission, or interference, isnt this normal if you turn on a electric device?

2. Don't see the reason why you pop up this idea.

3. Same to number 1.

4. You can replace the antennas and many do so.

5. This is an ap, what's the reason for low transmission power?

Don't use the AP then.

Your request looks so weird. If you want radio interference free, power it off and use eth which also have interference.

If you wanna it to be zero, you actually mean radio off, which equals power off.

😅 If that really matters, you still ought to turn it off, power off I mean.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-11 16:51:50

@Lempiz 

Do you have a controller in your system with Mesh'ing enabled?  225-outdoors that aren't wired would be permanently orphaned if you turn off their radios.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-02-12 00:05:41

> Do you have a controller in your system with Mesh'ing enabled?  225-outdoors that aren't wired would be permanently orphaned if you turn off their radios.

@d0ugmac1 

I have only this one EAP, so there would be no reason to worry about orphaning other EAPs.

However, there might be something here: in the event that Omada/the EAP tries to be smarter than what I ask it to do, is there a way somewhere in Omada to specify something like "never try to make build mesh" ?

(Also one would wonder why Omada accepts the toggle radio off and then displays Tx power as "-" if it is actually trying to communicate with other Mesh nodes)

Options
2024-02-12 00:13:59

@Napsterbater 

> Turn the POE off to the AP via a schedule. Omada switches support this and many non Omada/TP-Link switches support this. 

I have a TL-SG3428X but it doesn't not show up for adoption in Omada controller. I'm not sure if it's compatible or not. But if the EAP-225 is advertised as being able to turn the radio off does not actually do it, I'm starting to doubt that a PoE switch advertised as being able to turn off PoE will actually turn off the power :>> Just kidding/ranting but more importantly: I understand that even if it is compatible, adopting it will wipe the config and that's a bit more involving tha I planned for with the WiFi thing.

> smart plug 

I need it on at non predictable times. So, as you noted, the smart plug bites its own tail.

> why does it actually matter?

Heavily polluted RF spectrum; don't want to add 24x7 additional pollution when I only need a few hours per week.

Options
2024-02-12 00:25:03 - last edited 2024-02-12 00:36:28

@Tedd404 

> 1. Electric emission, or interference, isnt this normal if you turn on a electric device?

0.02 V/m would maybe be normal as interference created by an electric device. But since this one has FCC and EC logos on the back, even 0.02 would not be normal.

Here I am measuring 1.00+ V/m and it comes in distinctive spikes (like beacons). This is definitely "voluntary" emission (or a bug in the firmware).

> 2. Don't see the reason why you pop up this idea 

Because this page https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap225-outdoor/#specifications 

says under Specifications > Wireless Functions: "Enable/Disable Wireless Radio"

and as it turns out I cannot Disable wireless Radio emissions

and it looks like a bug (or false advertising)

and as the device is not emitting during the first 15 seconds of boot up, I conclude that the hardware is capable of not emitting

therefore I believe it's a software issue

and as omada reports the radios as "off" and Tx power as "-", which is untrue

therefore I conclude that the issue is more likely firmware related/

> 4. You can replace the antennas and many do so.

Thanks for confirming that. I will look into it. In case you know a great starting place for selecting replacement antennas, I am super interested ;)

For example, this: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/456/ is not helpful for finding lower gain antennas...

> 5. This is an ap, what's the reason for low transmission power?

Not adding to the already extremely polluted RF spectrum in my area.

> Don't use the AP then. /  power it off and use eth which also have interference.

You bet I would if only all those newer IoT sensors and devices came with proper Ethernet ports. Heck, 80% of them don't even come with 5 GHz support. So I have to do 2.4 and I want it as local as possible.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 300

Replies: 6

Tags

Radio
Related Articles