Deco X50 ethernet backhaul does not work with TP link switches

2024-02-11 12:52:53 - last edited 2024-02-13 08:31:46
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

Just got the 3 pack Deco x50.

My configuration is: fiber > ISP modem/router combo > ethernet cable to main Deco > ethernet cable to TP Link Switch > ethernet cables to all divisions in house.

Second and third Deco are connected through ethernet to their respective room RJ45 socket.

I can't get the second and third Deco to use ethernet backhaul if I use the switch. The closest one will connect through WiFi to the router, and the other one will connect to that secondary Deco through ethernet.

This limits my speed severely, since I can now only get around 80mb/s speeds when using WiFi in the other floors since the secondary Decos are not that close to the main router, and using ethernet from the Deco. If I connect the ethernet cable that I use to plug the secondary Decos into a computer instead, I get 1000mb/s (ISP limit).

The only way I manage to force the ethernet backhaul was by having them all close to the router, and connecting directly to the main Deco, which is useless since I don't need the 3 in the same room, and I don't want to buy new cables to connect them when I already have cables inside the walls along the entire home.

I have tried 2 different TP-link routers, both have the same issue: TL-SG108S v2.0 and LS105G v1.0

Do I need to buy a switch from a different brand in order for it to work? Is there anything I'm missing? 
I have already tried to inject the signal to the switch using the ISP modem/router instead of the main Deco and have the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X50 ethernet backhaul does not work with TP link switches-Solution
2024-02-11 15:39:06 - last edited 2024-02-13 08:31:46

Hi @Alexandre. 

Thank you so much for your message. That is indeed my network configuration, which I believe is the recommended way to set it up according to the manual.

Although the suggestion did not make much sense to me, since I get close to 1000mb/s by connecting to the RJ45 in the room instead of the Deco without changing anything in the setup, I decided to replace the ethernet cable connecting the main Deco to the Switch. That seemed to have fixed my issues, all Deco now show as connected through ethernet, and I get around 930mb/s connecting through ethernet to the Deco, which is good enough for me.

I did try different cables and ports before, just did not think about that one cable since it was working well for me when connected to the ISP router/modem.

The problem is solved now, I now get a good connection in every floor via WiFi.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X50 ethernet backhaul does not work with TP link switches
2024-02-11 13:39:38

@Joao_S 

This is your network diagram:

If Ethernet link between Main Deco and switch is broken, one of Satellite Deco will establish WiFi connection to Main Deco, rest of Satellites will report Ethernet link to that Satellite, all wired Internet traffic for all devices connected to the switch will go through WiFi link between Satellite and Main Deco:

To fix that, inspect (and replace if necessary) Ethernet cable which connects switch to Main Deco.

Options
Re:Deco X50 ethernet backhaul does not work with TP link switches-Solution
2024-02-11 15:39:06 - last edited 2024-02-13 08:31:46

Hi @Alexandre. 

Thank you so much for your message. That is indeed my network configuration, which I believe is the recommended way to set it up according to the manual.

Although the suggestion did not make much sense to me, since I get close to 1000mb/s by connecting to the RJ45 in the room instead of the Deco without changing anything in the setup, I decided to replace the ethernet cable connecting the main Deco to the Switch. That seemed to have fixed my issues, all Deco now show as connected through ethernet, and I get around 930mb/s connecting through ethernet to the Deco, which is good enough for me.

I did try different cables and ports before, just did not think about that one cable since it was working well for me when connected to the ISP router/modem.

The problem is solved now, I now get a good connection in every floor via WiFi.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 426

Replies: 2

Related Articles