ethernet connection is very slow

2024-02-12 17:39:22 - last edited 2024-02-20 11:46:25

Hi

I recently had new fibre wifi installed. The internet was transformed form 40mbps to 500 mbps.

The only problem we had was that because the new router is in the living room my son could no longer connect his pc (which is in his room) using an ethernet cable. For some reason he can not connect to wifi using his pc.

So i bought an extender because i saw that i could connect an ethernet cable directly from the extender to the PC.

I got the extender to link to my wifi.........i think. The PC is connected to the extender via an ethernet cable and it is now possible to connect to the internet. 

However, i now have 2 wireless networks. It seems the extender has created a new copy of the wifi and portioned off part of the internet speed for itself, and that portion is not very fast. My son is having a tough time trying to play fortnite with is game constantly stuttering.

When he runs an internet speed test he only gets 70 mbps (which is actually better than the old wifi but for some reason its very slow) i can get 420 mbps

Have i missed a step when setting up the extender. Or is this poor speed and excessive lag something i have to live when connecting using an ethernet cable

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ethernet connection is very slow-Solution
2024-02-13 20:35:24 - last edited 2024-02-20 11:46:25

@kingofthearmy 

If it is a "300 Mbps" range extender, then it must be one of the models that only support the 2.4 GHz band and have a 100 Mbps Ethernet port.

To get better speeds you should opt for a dual-band model, because the 2.4 GHz band is usually slow and the 5 GHz band allows for faster speeds. (although there is no guarantee for it)

It would be best to have a range extender that matches the Wi-Fi specification of the Wi-Fi router whose wireless network one wants to extend.

Do you have the Wi-Fi specs of your router at hand?

Furthermore, if the Ethernet port of the range extender is to be used (like in your case) and speeds above 95 Mbps are expected, then it is very important that the range extender has an 1000 Mbps or "Gigabit" Ethernet port.

TP-Link sells quite a few wireless range extenders with 100 Mbps Ethernet ports. These will not get you any more than 95 Mbps via Ethernet connection, no matter how fast the Wi-Fi of that range extender is.

You can actually filter by "Gigabit Port" on TP-Link's product webpage to show only the models that have a 1000 Mbps Ethernet port.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/range-extender/?filterby=4860

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:ethernet connection is very slow
2024-02-12 18:22:34

@kingofthearmy 

Hi,

Do you mind telling us the exact model description of the TP-Link wireless range extender you've got?

TP-Link sells quite a few different models and some of the cheaper models are indeed not capable of more than 70 Mbps.

Options
2024-02-13 07:12:16

@woozle 

hi it a Tp-link 300mbps universal Wi-Fi range extender

it was the cheapest I could get. Just wanted to see if it would work. But it looks like I'll need to get another?

Options
Re:ethernet connection is very slow-Solution
2024-02-13 20:35:24 - last edited 2024-02-20 11:46:25

@kingofthearmy 

If it is a "300 Mbps" range extender, then it must be one of the models that only support the 2.4 GHz band and have a 100 Mbps Ethernet port.

To get better speeds you should opt for a dual-band model, because the 2.4 GHz band is usually slow and the 5 GHz band allows for faster speeds. (although there is no guarantee for it)

It would be best to have a range extender that matches the Wi-Fi specification of the Wi-Fi router whose wireless network one wants to extend.

Do you have the Wi-Fi specs of your router at hand?

Furthermore, if the Ethernet port of the range extender is to be used (like in your case) and speeds above 95 Mbps are expected, then it is very important that the range extender has an 1000 Mbps or "Gigabit" Ethernet port.

TP-Link sells quite a few wireless range extenders with 100 Mbps Ethernet ports. These will not get you any more than 95 Mbps via Ethernet connection, no matter how fast the Wi-Fi of that range extender is.

You can actually filter by "Gigabit Port" on TP-Link's product webpage to show only the models that have a 1000 Mbps Ethernet port.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/range-extender/?filterby=4860

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-16 14:48:14

@woozle 

i have found the tp link ac1750 and ac1900

both have gigabit ethernet port but the ac1900 is cheapest

but not sure either of them are compatible windows 11.  copied this from tp link website

System Requirements:Microsoft Windows 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7, 8, 10, Mac OS, NetWare, UNIX or Linux.

do you know if they are compatible with windows 11

Options
2024-02-16 18:31:28

@kingofthearmy 

I assume you mean the models "RE450" and "RE550".

I have no idea why TP-Link lists those specific System Requirements. 
These wireless range extenders are not dependent on any particular system. Basically any Internet device that has a modern web browser is sufficient for configuring the range extender. So, Windows 11, iPhone/iPad, Android phone/tablet will all do the job as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 351

Replies: 5

Related Articles