PX50 with longer power cable (no PCL logo in Deco app)

2024-02-17 09:52:45 - last edited 2024-02-17 09:57:04
Tags: #Starlink #px50
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi,

I have three Deco PX50's working with Starlink (with the Starlink router in bypass mode). All of my devices except the "main" Deco show PCL is being used via the Deco app. The device without PCL is plugged into an extension socket, which is not ideal and may stop PCL from working completly.

I can get a 3-prong ("mickey mouse") power extension cable from Amazon to extend the Deco directly to a wall outlet.

Is an extension cable (2m) ok for a Deco PX50 in terms of using the PCL function? Is the cable that comes with the Deco special in any way?

Regards,

Mark

Options
17 Reply
Re:PX50 with longer power cable (no PCL logo in Deco app)
2024-02-17 12:17:35 - last edited 2024-02-17 12:19:56

@thelinkuser Can you post a screen shot of the network from the app? One thing I can think of is cheap extension cords with broken earth ground continuity as the PX50 uses G.hn which uses the earth wire to send data too.

Options
2024-02-17 21:06:59 - last edited 2024-02-18 11:31:23

@thelinkuser Here is a screenshot below.

The extension cable I looked at was: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CH78NNTR/ref=pe_27091411_487029541_TE_SCE_dp_i2

Deco App

Options
2024-02-20 11:03:48 - last edited 2024-02-20 11:31:16

@thelinkuser Any ideas @Alexmesh ?

One more question - should the PLC logo appear on the "main" router if it is plugged in to the mains properly? A few people have asked this on the forums.

Thanks Alex.

Options
2024-02-20 21:55:52

@thelinkuser Hi, mine is like this too. I think it just shows how the connection from the satalite units are working and connecting to the main unit, I think the main unit should have a connection indicator too however as I've had to reboot the main unit in the past as the PLC connection wasn't working.

Options
2024-02-20 22:01:35

@Alexmesh Thanks for the reply. I emailed TP-Link support and they just told me that the main unit ("Loft" in your case) does not show the PLC/wifi indicator, so it seems that we cannot know if PLC is being used from the main Deco to the other Deco's 😕 Ideally, I'd like the main Deco to use PLC, but we can't seem to know that now.

So is your "Loft" Deco connected by Ethernet to "Dining Room". I can't do that in my place, so I wanted PLC to act like Ethernet I suppose.

Options
2024-02-20 22:07:12 - last edited 2024-02-20 22:09:29

@thelinkuser 

Main Deco is always connected by the Ethernet to ISP modem. Because of that, it does not make sense to show connection indicator for Main Deco: it will always be Ethernet.

To find how Satellite Decos are connected and where, use "Show Map" in Deco app. Screenshot you provided is from "Show List." Touch "Show Map" on that screen and you will see to where Satellite Decos are connected.

Options
2024-02-20 22:11:23

@Alexandre. Yes, that's true of course, but the "main" Deco has PLC and so it should be able to use the power grid of the house too, yes? I just wanted to make sure that the main Deco unit could use PLC and that we can see it using PLC to confirm this, but we can't because TP-Link tell me that the main Deco unit will not say PLC/wifi. Am I misunderstanding this? Can I not make my main Deco use PLC if it's possible to do so? Or does my screenshot show that the two other Deco's _are_ using PLC to connect to the main unit? Perhaps I misinterpreted this? Thanks.

Options
2024-02-20 22:14:59

@thelinkuser 

If you can make screenshot of "Show Map" screen and post it here, I can explain where and how each of your Satellite Deco is connected.

Options
2024-02-20 22:20:47

Here you go... I think i can see the wire/wifi logo on the lines here, so does this mean the 2 other units are PCL/wifi?

Deco map  @Alexandre. 

Options
2024-02-20 22:23:42 - last edited 2024-02-20 22:25:49

@thelinkuser On the other screen it shows how the network is mapped out and how they are connected, when the Deco units daisychain throught the others or the backhaul changes this screen changes to reflect that. This screen is a literal map of how the units are connecting to one another. If any of the satellite Deco's are connecting via PLC then the PLC part of the main Deco is working.

Correct yes my Loft Deco is connected to Dining room via ethernet, it wasn't originally but that cable was added after I got the Deco set. The Garage Deco which serves the yard has no chance of that however due to practical constraints and that's the main reason I went with this PLC Deco (wifi is very congested and unreliable around here and wifi from the house doesn't reach out there too well).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 472

Replies: 17

Tags

Related Articles