PX50 with longer power cable (no PCL logo in Deco app)

PX50 with longer power cable (no PCL logo in Deco app)

17 Reply
Re:PX50 with longer power cable (no PCL logo in Deco app)
2024-02-20 22:25:28 - last edited 2024-02-20 22:26:48

Yes, this means that your satellite Deco units are connecting to courtyard via PLC+Wifi, PLC take priority over Wifi backhaul as it's generally faster and has less latency. Everything is working as it should here.

Options
2024-02-20 22:26:31

@Alexmesh thanks for explaining. I think I've misinterpreted the Deco map screen. It seems that PLC/wifi are being used to access the main Deco.

Of course, I can't see if PLC _or_ wifi is being used and I'm sure I cannot tell the main Deco just to use PLC or wifi?

Your ethernet set-up is good since you know that ethernet is being used to main Deco. I assume the "main" Deco is the Loft in your case?

Options
2024-02-20 22:28:18 - last edited 2024-02-20 22:33:59

@Alexandre. Thanks for telling me. Am I right in thinking that I can't tell if PLC or wifi is being used in this case, as both logos are shown? I also assume I cannot tell the main Deco just to use/accept PLC (and disable wifi) for example? However, if there was a disable wifi on main Deco that would mean that a cllent near to it would not be able to connect to it I assume, so a double-edged sword?

I have my Deco main connected in to a power strip, and it still seems to work, which is good thing from these Decos (my old PLCs didn't do that).

Options
2024-02-20 22:33:43 - last edited 2024-02-20 22:34:50

The only way I know of forcing the Deco units to use PLC, wifi or Ethernet backhaul with the others shut off is with a custom firmware from TP link but generally they are used for troubleshooting and I doubt they will make one if it's all working as they deem it should. I had problems when mixing ethernet and plc+wifi would make the mesh crash during the evenings and require manually resetting, a network loop apparently. In my experience if only wifi backhaul is being used the PLC symbol will disappear and you'll be left with just a wifi signal symbol between them.

Options
2024-02-20 22:34:26

@Alexmesh I'll give that a miss. Thanks again!

Options
2024-02-20 22:38:10
It's mostly working now, Dining room has a custom firmware which forces it to only use ethernet backhaul and due to that Garage is always connecting to the Loft now. Did have one issue where the PLC part of loft crashed and needed a power cycle to get it working again (Garage would only connect via Wifi before that and was flashing a red light until it was rebooted). Loft is my main unit correct.
Options
2024-02-20 22:57:12

@thelinkuser 

thelinkuser wrote

I have my Deco main connected in to a power strip, and it still seems to work, which is good thing from these Decos (my old PLCs didn't do that

The PX50 uses a newer technology compared to other powerline gear, it uses the G.hn standard which is a lot better than the older homeplug AV standards which were notorious for disconnecting or not connecting at all. It uses the earth ground wire for data too which is a big help in reliability. In an ideal world we'd have ethernet in every room including ceiling drops but I think so far the PX50 is a good compromise, I can listen to youtube videos without buffering whilst working out in the yard now which I couldn't before buying the PX50 kit.

Options

Tags

Related Articles