ER605 DHCP Client List Missing Clients

2024-02-19 09:29:41 - last edited 2024-02-21 05:26:49
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.3 20231201

Good day,

I'm wondering about the behavior of this router. It should be my DHCP server and fiber router.

Internet is also available on the network and the devices are assigned IP addresses.

I also reserved 30 addresses outside the DHCP IP range, 20 of which are always on.

My problem:

The DHCP client list hardly shows any entries, currently 14 - 5 of which are dynamic and 9 permanent (LAN and WLAN mixed). Why isn't every network participant displayed?

I can address IPs that are not displayed in the list, but I know that they are reserved and running.

My structure:

ER605 on PoESwitch TP-SG1016PE (DHCP off) and WLAN router Netgear NightHawk R7800 (in AP mode, DHCP off)

There is still an EAP 225 and EAP 245 attached to the PoE switch; these are connected to the Omada Cloud (DHCP off)

I left the ER605 out of Omada because then I can only configure the network via PC and not my cell phone.

Use only 1 LAN and IP range is 192.168.x.x/16

ER605 192.168.0.1

DHCP range 192.168.100.1-200/16

Reservation 192.168.1.x/16 - 10.x/16

I can perhaps get over the fact that the client names in the DHCP list are not very helpful for Shelly devices (readable names are actually assigned when making a reservation and in the device), but the fact that I don't get an overview of all network participants is a reason for dismissal :(

Was I wrong? T

hat can't be intentional.

Best regards

Thomas​​​​​​

Options
4 Reply
Re:ER605 DHCP Client List Missing Clients
2024-02-28 14:53:13

@Thomas_ER605 I'm hitting much the same issue.  The DHCP client list on my ER605v2 (with the latest firmware) doesn't show all devices that are connected.  The ER shows 61 in the client list, with 6 addresses reserved (so not showing?), which makes 67 devices, whereas "Fing" shows 82 online devices. 

As one of the latter is the ER itself, that means the ER isn't showing another 15 devices in the list.  I can't see any rhyme or reason to the ones missing - they're not all connected to the same AP - most are WiFi but one of them is an AP (which is wired).

Baffling.

So, long story short, the ER605v2 isn't showing all devices, but using (the free version of) Fing does.

Options
2024-02-29 01:05:15

Hi @redsnowdonkey 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

redsnowdonkey wrote

@Thomas_ER605 I'm hitting much the same issue.  The DHCP client list on my ER605v2 (with the latest firmware) doesn't show all devices that are connected.  The ER shows 61 in the client list, with 6 addresses reserved (so not showing?), which makes 67 devices, whereas "Fing" shows 82 online devices. 

As one of the latter is the ER itself, that means the ER isn't showing another 15 devices in the list.  I can't see any rhyme or reason to the ones missing - they're not all connected to the same AP - most are WiFi but one of them is an AP (which is wired).

Baffling.

So, long story short, the ER605v2 isn't showing all devices, but using (the free version of) Fing does.

So, is the AP Omada one? I assume not.

Another fact, the controller sync is not real-time and there may be a lag in the client display.

Fact, if you have non-Omada devices connected as a middleman device, some connected to the middleman will not be displayed in the Omada GUI.

So my question is after all the facts I give, can you rule them out and make sure all devices you mentioned are NOT sleeping or in some kind of hibernation? I mean ALL 82 online devices in 1-3 minutes are active and are not displaying on the client list? (1-3 minutes are reserved for the controller to refresh its client list or sync.)

Give me the details and let me see what I can do for you. I need a diagram with the model name on it, of course, and your answer to the question.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-01 16:48:19 - last edited 2024-03-01 16:51:48

@Clive_A 

You assume right.  None of the APs are Omada, as the ER605v2 has been the last to arrive. 

However, all the APs are all TP-Link devices (five C80s and an RE550), which are all Ethernet connected (direct and through unmanaged switches, as are some of the devices).

Fully aware of the time-lag - you'd assume as much from a device that takes at least 5 minutes to boot up, wouldn't you? ;)

Today, of the devices "missing" (from the ER605v2 client list and address reservations), most are wireless, save one that's hard-wired:

• 5 Google Smart Speakers (but 5 others are listed, and four of the missing ones are on the same AP as three of those).
  • 2 Amazon speakers.
  • 1 Amazon tablet.
  • 1 Wiser Heat Hub.
  • 2 Alcatel mobiles.
  • 1 Ethernet-connected Reolink DVR also all missing (although all the Reolink IP cameras it runs are showing).

There's also no logical connection between anything "hiding" behind a certain AP, as they appear to be spread between them.

(Not sure how a diagram would help, here.)

Options
2024-03-04 09:35:45

Hi @redsnowdonkey 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

redsnowdonkey wrote

@Clive_A 

You assume right.  None of the APs are Omada, as the ER605v2 has been the last to arrive. 

However, all the APs are all TP-Link devices (five C80s and an RE550), which are all Ethernet connected (direct and through unmanaged switches, as are some of the devices).

Fully aware of the time-lag - you'd assume as much from a device that takes at least 5 minutes to boot up, wouldn't you? ;)

Today, of the devices "missing" (from the ER605v2 client list and address reservations), most are wireless, save one that's hard-wired:

• 5 Google Smart Speakers (but 5 others are listed, and four of the missing ones are on the same AP as three of those).
  • 2 Amazon speakers.
  • 1 Amazon tablet.
  • 1 Wiser Heat Hub.
  • 2 Alcatel mobiles.
  • 1 Ethernet-connected Reolink DVR also all missing (although all the Reolink IP cameras it runs are showing).

There's also no logical connection between anything "hiding" behind a certain AP, as they appear to be spread between them.

(Not sure how a diagram would help, here.)

I am not familiar with the home product but I do know that RE and WIFI router can be the AP. While they are in the AP/RE mode, they have some kind of MAC address thing and IP hosting. Have you contacted the support about this? I am worried this is the reason why you are not seeing them. This was a very old KB in our system which I came across during the training years ago.

If you are open to suggestions, try a dedicated AP and see if it works and get all connected devices showing up.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 304

Replies: 4

Related Articles