Whatsapp calls using STUN protocol
Whatsapp calls using STUN protocol
2024-02-27 20:27:28 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:38:57
Tags: #NAT
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2

Hi!

It's been a few months now that I'm unable to make Whatsapp calls when I'm connected to my Home network, that is managed by an ER605. It is that specific: Whatsapp calls on smartphones. It's not a problem of the phones because I tested android and ios in LTE, and VPN (FROM THE ER605!) and works normally.

After some research I THINK it's because Whatsapp STUN protocol and looks like the NAT type of ER605 doesn't handle it.

I'm no expert, maybe some of you guys could confirm that theory or, even better, suggest an workaround?

Thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Whatsapp calls using STUN protocol
2024-02-28 00:57:40

Hi @almeida123 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

What docs from Whatsapp do you have for me so I can point you in the right direction?

You say the STUN, so I assume you need to port forward. Try to set it up and if there is any trouble, refer to that TS guide.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-04 20:35:22

@Clive_A 

Thank you Clive for your prompt answer.

I don't have any documentation at hand from whatsapp regarding the use of STUN protocol. What I did was analyze the traffic during a whatsapp call.

After some research, seems to be very clear for anyone that the STUN protocol doesn't work with a specific type o NAT: The Symmetric one. Do you know if the ER605 uses this kind of NAT?

About the port forwarding, That idea was suggested in a few forums and I know how to do it in the ER605. But How it would work if inside the network I have 4 different smartphones all of them with a different IP, MAC and whatsapp account. How Could I forward ports if I don't know which equipment is going to be used?

Thanks!

Options
2024-03-05 01:24:39

Hi @almeida123 

almeida123 wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you Clive for your prompt answer.

I don't have any documentation at hand from whatsapp regarding the use of STUN protocol. What I did was analyze the traffic during a whatsapp call.

After some research, seems to be very clear for anyone that the STUN protocol doesn't work with a specific type o NAT: The Symmetric one. Do you know if the ER605 uses this kind of NAT?

About the port forwarding, That idea was suggested in a few forums and I know how to do it in the ER605. But How it would work if inside the network I have 4 different smartphones all of them with a different IP, MAC and whatsapp account. How Could I forward ports if I don't know which equipment is going to be used?

Thanks!

NAT4 - Symmetric.

You should at least know one port in either SRC or DST. If you don't know both, there is no way we can port forward it. That'll be DMZ.

If that's a specific port, you can use port triggering which is only available in standalone mode.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-06 22:40:08

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive! Thank you for your confirmation.

Looks like is common-sense that STUN doesn'r work with Symmetric NAT.

After some research, I listed a bunch of possible ports used by WhatsApp. I also put all of them in port triggering list in the ER605.

Unfortunately, still no progress. Do you have any suggestion? The UDP 3478 is also unanimous.

Options
2024-03-07 00:59:21

Hi @almeida123 

almeida123 wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive! Thank you for your confirmation.

Looks like is common-sense that STUN doesn'r work with Symmetric NAT.

After some research, I listed a bunch of possible ports used by WhatsApp. I also put all of them in port triggering list in the ER605.

Unfortunately, still no progress. Do you have any suggestion? The UDP 3478 is also unanimous.

If STUN does not work with NAT4, there is no other way to fix it. NAT type was this one before the Omada product line was invented.

So, that's the heads-up for you. I will submit this to the dev and see if there is a solution from them. But don't hold too much hope as if STUN does not work well with NAT4.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 348

Replies: 5

Tags

Related Articles