Replacing ISP router with Deco M4

2024-03-08 21:43:35

Hi,

I've been using my Sky provided router, but with Deco M4 (in Access Point mode) for the WiFi. Mainly as the landline was a VOIP phone and plugged into the router. Now it's time to change my provider, landlines seem to be being phased out.

So, I'm thinking about using the M4 in Router mode. Would this perform better than an ISP router? Or, would you suggest getting a dedicated third party router? We have a lot of video calls and kids gaming.

thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Replacing ISP router with Deco M4
2024-03-08 23:23:50 - last edited 2024-03-08 23:33:09

It looks like it isn't possible to plug the M4 into the phone line, so guess I need a modem/router. Is there a TP-link modem router which I can use as part of the mesh system, rather than plugging the main M4 into the router and using in Access point mode?

Options
2024-03-09 03:11:34
Have you tried to contact your ISP technical support team to check with them whether will it be possible for them or you to configure that provided modem/router into just a modem mode. Just mention you have a third party router mesh system and you don't want DHCP errors or double NAT issues. From your information, it seems you are still running on copper lines, am I right? If yes, you can only opt for DSL-routers/decos. Check with your ISP is there a fiber port at your area.
Options
2024-03-09 07:10:07

@Omochao we're fibre to cabinet. As my current deal has come to an end, I'm going to be changing provider. I just wondered if it's worth ditching the use of the ISP provided router, as some people think you get more out of a third party one.

Options
2024-03-09 13:44:55 - last edited 2024-03-09 13:51:57

@Callenbll 

If you are changing provider, my recommendation would be to use their ISP Router with Deco M4 in AP mode. If you need ISP Tech Support to troubleshoot Internet connectivity issues, it will be much easier to deal with them (with Tech Support) if you have their ISP Router in its default configuration.

Run Deco mesh in Router mode and provider Tech Support could dismiss your escalations as "third party router - not our issues." 

From my personal experience: I had quite elusive issue with frequent brief Internet interruptions. Having ISP Router in its default configuration helped to pinpoint where the issue is, which were outside of my home network. At one point I just powered off Deco mesh completely to ensure only ISP gear is in play. I can do that, because I run Deco mesh in AP mode and also my network diagram is similar to the following:

Options
2024-03-10 00:11:28

@Callenbll 
If you are running a fiber optic, there must be BTU/ONT before the ISP router , kindly get the credentials on connecting to the internet from your ISP.

Check with them are their internet services using PPPoE, L2TP, PPTP or DS-Lite? and check with them for the VLAN ID details as well.

Deco routers far exceeds ISP routers which will usually be firmware locked, and not much of settings that you can play around with.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 177

Replies: 5

Related Articles