Network Setup Question

Network Setup Question
Network Setup Question
2024-03-09 02:14:49 - last edited 2024-03-09 13:32:09
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I'm looking to see if anyone has set up their network like this before I spend the time trying to configure it this way.

I currently have it set up with ISP router to XE75 main (in router mode) and then wifi backhauled XE75s around the house.

I have 1.5Gbps internet, and I want my work desktop to be ethernet wired with full access to said speed.

The XE75 only have 1Gbps ports so if I were to wire off the main deco I will max out at 1Gbps.

Instead I am looking to use ethernet from the ISP router directly to my desktop while all wifi things use the deco.

I still want devices on the deco to be able to see and connect to devices directly on the ISP router.

My initial plan was to use the same network address subnet on both (either different dhcp IP ranges on each device or set up the ranges with proper subnet so they see each other as local). My worry is that the ISP router may not route to the other network out to the Deco.

Has anyone else done something like this and had it work?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Network Setup Question-Solution
2024-03-09 03:07:53 - last edited 2024-03-09 13:32:09
You cannot have two routers in a network, will end up with double NAT or DHCP errors. If your ISP has given you a router that can handle DHCP addresses. Best you set the XE75 operation mode to AP, and the ISP router does it job. From then on, you can hardwire the work desktop directly to your ISP router to get full maximum speed. The XE75 will function as a WiFi range booster in your premise. There will be no guarantee how well the roaming works as I'm not sure whether the router provided by your ISP has roaming features or not. Or whether is it same WiFi gen, WiFi5 or 6.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Network Setup Question-Solution
2024-03-09 03:07:53 - last edited 2024-03-09 13:32:09
You cannot have two routers in a network, will end up with double NAT or DHCP errors. If your ISP has given you a router that can handle DHCP addresses. Best you set the XE75 operation mode to AP, and the ISP router does it job. From then on, you can hardwire the work desktop directly to your ISP router to get full maximum speed. The XE75 will function as a WiFi range booster in your premise. There will be no guarantee how well the roaming works as I'm not sure whether the router provided by your ISP has roaming features or not. Or whether is it same WiFi gen, WiFi5 or 6.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Network Setup Question
2024-03-09 13:32:01
Okay thanks! The wifi won't be an issue. I can (and have already) disabled the wifi on the ISP router. It sounds like AP mode will be the easiest solution.
Options
Re:Network Setup Question
2024-03-10 00:11:55

@tallen83 
Yes easiest to do so, but you lose out on the full functions of the deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 128

Replies: 3

Related Articles