OC200 - How many devices and clients can the controller manage?

2024-03-20 06:08:09
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am currently using a Raspberry Pi4 running the Software controller. Works fine.

My network consists of:

• ER7206 Router
  • EAP-610 Access Point (2)
  • EAP-615-Wall Access Point (2)
  • TL-SG1210P 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch
  • TL-SG1005P 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch

There are 110 clients. Most of them on 2.54 GHz WiFi.

I have a need for a Raspberry Pi and was one keypress from ordering a new Pi4 and PSU, when it occurred to me that the total cost was more than an OC200.

So, should I just replace the software controller with an OC200? (This would free up the Raspberry for the project I need a Raspberry for.)

My question for the forum is, is there any data on my software controller that I need to port to the OC200?

Options
8 Reply
Re:OC200 - How many devices and clients can the controller manage?
2024-03-20 07:07:42 - last edited 2024-03-20 07:09:23

Hi @SteveMann 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Depends on how far you would like to go for the Omada road.

If your needs grow fast, and you may also need more advanced features for the network down the road where Omada might not catch up with your needs, you should consider the RBP. Because you can have two RPBs and use them for different purposes down the road. While OC200 is a proprietary system for Omada Controller.

In short, PBR will be more versatile.

If you are not that geek in playing around with networking, this is just a temporary craze for upgrading the network, then OC200 might be a good choice. Not every year you upgrade your whole network system.

People still use WIFI 5 for regular stuff. Just buy things based on your needs instead of getting into the trap of consumerism.

Think far. Up to you.

I recall the migration would be slightly different between the software and the hardware. Should not be a serious problem. @Hank21 may take a further look at this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-20 18:59:40

@SteveMann 

Currently, with the latest versions of the Controllers you cannot migrate between hardware and software (there is another thread on this).  So if you are running 5.13 on your Pi, you will be re-creating everything on the OC200 should you choose to go that route.  There are also Pi-clones like the Libre Computer boards, which you can get a 2G 4core for $35.  I have an OC200, and some software controllers running in Docker containers on NAS and the above PI clones.  I like the Pi approach because you can do other things with it, like UPS management, PiHole, DDNS, Wireguard (for those of us with ER605v1's) etc.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-03-21 03:17:29 - last edited 2024-03-21 03:20:19

@d0ugmac1   @SteveMann 

When performing migration, please note that for controller v5.13.11.41 and above, only the configuration file from a controller with the same first-three-part version number can be used. Currently, software controllers cannot be migrated with hardware controllers due to their different first-three-part version numbers. However, our related department will release firmware with the same first-three-part version number for hardware controllers in the future, allowing for migration.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-22 04:56:29

@Hank21 "Currently, software controllers cannot be migrated with hardware controllers due to their different first-three-part version numbers."

So, if I pull the plug on the Software controller and install the OC200, what configurtions am I going to need to setup again?

Options
2024-03-22 14:55:51

@SteveMann 

Everything.  Just like if the universe had just been born and you found yourself standing in the black void holding an OC200.  But wait, there's light...

Now, if you have backups from older versions of your software controller, from say 5.9 or even 5.12, your could temporarily spin up the older software controller version, restore the backup to it, then export the site(s) one by one from the old controller version using the Controller->Settings->Migration option to local files. Then downgrade the OC200 to the same major.minor version, and then restore each site, one by one.  Finally upgrade the OC200 back to the current version.

TPlink really needs to fix this silliness.  Or, failing that, makes the backup exportable in XML so we can fix it ourselves.

Options
2024-03-23 21:30:27

@d0ugmac1 "Everything.  Just like if the universe had just been born and you found yourself standing in the black void holding an OC200.  But wait, there's light..."

After installing the OC200, it turns out to have the same software version as the Software Controller.  So, after making sure I had backup of the global and sites data, a simple "Restore" brought everything into the OC200.

All the assistance offered here is appreciated.

Now, if I can just figure out why some of my static IP clients don't show up in the clients list.  But that is for a different thread.

Options
2024-03-23 21:55:43

@SteveMann 

So you were using a version below 5.13 then on both software and oc200?

Options
2024-03-24 22:00:32

@d0ugmac1 "So you were using a version below 5.13 then on both software and oc200?"
They were both Version 5.13.24

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 316

Replies: 8

Related Articles