XE75 - 2.4 Band not working properly

2024-03-23 11:25:36 - last edited 2024-03-23 11:27:47
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20240119 Rel. 39178

Hello all,

I've upgraded to this mesh system from an Asus single router configuraion.

I have 3 Xe75's placed each one room apart from the other to cover my 220m^2 apartement.

On the 5 Ghz there are no complaints (Speedtest 500-700 Mbps down no matter where I go in my apartment) however the 2.4 Ghz performance is attrocious.

If my cellphone connects to the 2.4 Ghz network I get 3-5 Mbps download speeds even when I move 1 meter away from the deco.

I noticed that if I disconnect and reconnect from the network the issue is fixed (I will get 70-80 Mbps down) but as soon as I move around my apartement (causing my cellphone to roam between satellites) the 2.4 Ghz performance gets "bugged" again and speedtest only gets to 3-5 Mbps maximum.

I tested this on multiple cellphones and all have the same issue with really bad 2.4 Ghz performance.

I tried:

1. Updating FW to the latest

2. Factory reset all deco's and reinstalling (with the reset button)

3. Disable "Beamforming & Fast Roam"

4. disable 5 Ghz band and only leaving 2.4 Ghz Band on

I'm really close on giving up on this system as I can see (from google searches) that there are lots of ppl encountering issues specifically on the 2.4 Ghz band...

Would be cool if someone has any ideas....

EDIT:
did some additional testing and found that It seems that static devices (like my PS5 or Smart TV) do not have degraded 2.4 Ghz performance from some reason, they all get 100-200 Mbps download speeds through 2.4 Ghz, only devices that roam a lot (cellphones etc.) get destroyed, they get stuck on 3Mbps until I disconnect and reconnect them from the network...

Options
6 Reply
Re:XE75 - 2.4 Band not working properly
2024-03-23 12:16:51
What phone do you have? I ask as I have 2 tablets - one Samsung and one Lenovo - that struggle with 2.4ghz and the issue is not restricted to TPlink access points either, but share the same generation of WiFi chips.
Options
2024-03-23 12:41:40
I have two Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G and also on a OnePlus 5t. I managed to reproduce it on all 3 phones, what I need to do is go to the farthest point in my apartement where the signal is the weakest. This will trigger the phones to connect to the 2.4 Ghz network and the speed will get stuck to 3-5 Mbps. Even when moving back next to the router the phones will not switch back to 5 Ghz, they will be stuck in this state until I turn off the wifi and turn it back on.
Options
2024-03-23 13:25:43 - last edited 2024-03-23 13:29:39

@M3rl1n 

You can force devices connect to 5GHz band when it is available. This will not fix 2.4GHz band issues, but at least in theory should move device back to 5GHz band as soon as it is available.

The feature is called Connection Preference: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Scroll down to Part 2 of that document. Keep Preferred Deco as Auto and change Preferred Band  to 5GHz.

For that to work, device must have private MAC (MAC address randomization) disabled for Deco Main Network SSID in device.

Options
2024-03-23 13:50:57

@Alexandre. 

I'm aware there are ways to "bandade" the issue, however I'm not willing to do that. 

If I spend my hard earned money on a system I would prefer it function as expected. 

Options
2024-03-23 14:17:57

M3rl1n wrote

@Alexandre. 

I'm aware there are ways to "bandade" the issue, however I'm not willing to do that. 

If I spend my hard earned money on a system I would prefer it function as expected. 

@M3rl1n 

You started with "Would be cool if someone has any ideas...." You are getting them, and of course they are of "band aide" type. What other expectations you had from folks on that forum?

I gave you one option, but at my place I did it differently. I didn't like slow speed of 2.4GHz, which was faster on my smartphones than what you see on yours, but still. I also didn't like Deco band steering algorithm that moves idle devices to 2.4GHz band. 

What I did is turned off 2.4GHz band for Deco Main Network:

Then, I checked where I have weak 5GHz coverage, bought more Deco units and placed them in such a way that I now have strong 5GHz coverage all over my house.

Promise, this is the last idea I share with you on that topic.

Options
2024-03-23 16:19:19

@Alexandre. 

Sorry did not mean it how it sounded of course I am happy for the help!

I'm just kind of annoyed that this damn thing is not working :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 148

Replies: 6

Related Articles