Archer AX73 unstable and also unable to reach full line speed.

2024-03-29 12:39:01 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Tags: #Network Connectivity #Instability
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 Build 20230919 rel.12938(4555)

Hi All, 

I seem to be having an odd issue I cannot seem to get to the bottom of. I've had a very unstable internet since 26/03/2024 morning which was causing constant Citrix drops outs in periods of a few hours, this is backed up by broadband monitor I forgot I had running of intermittent spikes and packet losses. Prior to this date it has been rock solid. 

I went investigating and nothing would suggest there is any issue with the router, the logs didn't have anything of interest on them to my eyes at the time as if it was picking up any errors. I wasn't catching any lights changing to amber, the lights on the ONT all stayed the same and as it currently stands Vodafone is adamant there is nothing wrong on their end. Did a speed test did a speed test out of curiosity on ookla and that came back around the 600/600 mark repeatedly which isn't the full 900/900 I pay for but I can accept losses in the network somewhere thinking maybe power cables are causing interference so I moved the Ethernet out on its own, no change in the test results.

I then connected up the Vodafone router (THD3000) and did the same speed test with the exact same Ethernet cables just to confirm my assumptions to be surprised with it managing the 900/900 that the AX73 could not. 

So far I have;

• Checked what happened between 25th and the 26th, nothing from what I can tell. 
  • Checked the router settings, I have a Static IP correctly set up and the AX73 is set to 1000mps full duplex.
  • Changed DNS servers which have made no difference. 
  • Turning off the wifi and repeating speed test thinking it might be overloaded, no difference. 
  • Removing other wired connections on the AX73, no difference. This matches the state of the Vodafone router test. 
  • Changed the cable from the ONT to the Router to a shielded type just in case the AX73 couldn't deal with a similar lever of interference, no change. 

I am a relatively techy person but networking isn't something I've dabbled with much and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what would be causing drop in speed let alone the instability. It almost feels reminiscent to the Intel Puma issue that the Virgin routers had a while back where they weren't quite fit for purpose to a more infrequent but more drastic degree.

I appreciate the speed issue is very much a first world problem and could have been there form the start but now that I've noticed it I want to get to the bottom of it. The instability on the other hand ruins any ability to work through Citrix VDI. 

Graphs for context. 

Any Ideas?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer AX73 unstable and also unable to reach full line speed.
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@dch0592 

Hi, 

1. Disable QoS, please access http://tplinkwifi.net and go to Advanced >> QoS to disable it.
  2. Disable Parental Control, please go to Advanced >> Parental Control to disable it.
  3. Disable SIP ALG and UPNP, please go to Advanced >> NAT Forwarding >> UPNP to disable UPNP, go to Advance >> Security to disable SIP ALG.
  4. Please use https://www.speedtest.net or the speedtest APP/CLI(https://www.speedtest.net/apps) for testing speed accurately. Try a few other speedtest servers, other servers might reach better speeds.
Options
3 weeks ago
It was the QoS setting being on. Strange it turned itself on or suddenly became an issue on the Monday after having the router for over a year with no issues. Much appreciated!
Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Sunshine 

Speed tests seem to be as expected now but the instability and disconnects are still there, the issues did dissapear for about a day or so after changing these settings but now they are back again.

Carried out instructions just after 4PM.

The solid red is me investigating again after the issues started again. 

Then today is just the same issue as last week. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@dch0592 

Hi, did you notice the Internet LED turning red or orange? and will all client devices lose internet access at the same time?

When the issue happens, please check if the router still has WAN IP address or not, if so, try to configure Internet DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4:

Options
3 weeks ago

@Sunshine 

Hi, 

No I haven't noticed any LED change when it happens and yes it affects everything on the network regardless of being wired or wireless.

I have got a static IP address that is correctly shown in the router internet page and unfortunately my DNS is already set to the Google Public DNS.

I am at a bit of a loose end really and I have also just noticed that this issue has conveniently just appeared a few weeks after the warranty has run out.

Is there any way to get pull out a hardware level log/history from the router to see if something is malfunctioning on a hardware level as that is the only thing I can see it being as I have already reflashed the firmware which has made no difference. 

Options
2 weeks ago

@dch0592 

Hi, maybe you could try this beta firmware to see if it can be improved: Archer AX73 V1&V2 might reboot automatically when working together with some Range Extenders

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Sunshine 

Unfortunately that is the firmware that I reflashed to when I mentioned it in my last post so it never really made any difference.

Is there anything else to try or was that the last resort, it can't be anything other that hardware issue at this point surely?

I guess the other possibility is something malicious is at work given the recent articles about router viruses. 

I've just noticed that it is a 3 Year warranty on the box so I might be in Luck if it is a hardware issue anyway. 

Options
2 weeks ago

I have since had an email this morning from Vodafone saying there is a compromised device on my network that is acting as part of a Coordinated DDoS Botnet. 

I am just confirming with Vodafone that it is genuine. 

Not really what I was expecting on a Monday morning if true. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 263

Replies: 8

Tags

Related Articles