Trying to connect AC750 travel router at home to my Unifi network

2024-03-30 21:24:39
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1.0.3

i'm trying to prep a TPLINK travel router before a trip.  i'm stuck on step 1, connecting it wirelessly to my wifi network.  I never get an IP address assigned to WAN.  I see nothing in my UDMPRO logs and dont see the device connected.  The logs on the ac750 show 'recv no offer, dhcp service unavailable'.  This should be super simple, any thoughts?  (i did try static ip as well, couldnt ping it, nothing in logs on either side)

the switch on the unit is set to the middle position "share hotspot"

Options
4 Reply
Re:Trying to connect AC750 travel router at home to my Unifi network
2024-03-30 21:59:41

@rawbar 

Here's the guide for Shared Hotspot mode for TL-WR902AC. Follow the guide to configure your router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-30 23:08:27
Thanks but not particularly helpful. I do IT networking for a living, this isn't a situation that basic documentation is going to help with. I followed the docs when setting this up anyway (though the docs have a step showing MAC cloning that I never saw during the quick setup). It works fine using ethernet FWIW.
Options
2024-03-31 00:50:36

@rawbar 

Hi,

To make sure the WR902AC itself is okay I suggest you connect it to another network first. If no other wireless network is readily available, then use the Hotspot feature of a smartphone.

Don't bother with all the Quick Setup stuff. Go straight to either the "Wireless 2.4GHz" or "Wireless 5GHz" menu, in the "Client Setting" section click the [Scan] button, pick the network of your choice, enter the correct password in the "Wireless Password" field and then click the [Save] button.

In case the WR902AC connects fine to another wireless network, then it must be something about the Unifi network that the WR902AC doesn't like.

Options
2024-03-31 01:05:24 - last edited 2024-03-31 01:05:52

thanks for the tip, i packed it up and figured it was something relating to my home network. I will try again at the hotel. I got my clients set up by connecting the TPLINK to an ethernet port. I was hoping there would be some wifi logs to at least show if I had successfully connected to the my home WAP, and if not, why it was failing (bad password, etc). I never saw a connection on the unifi side, nothing in the security logs, etc. but the TPLINK was requesting DHCP, so it sort of implies it thinks it was connected. I'm sure it's something stupid, hopefully I have better luck at the hotel.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 286

Replies: 4

Related Articles